1. Health
Daniel More, MD

Beer Helps to Treat Symptoms of Hay Fever

By April 3, 2007

Next time you want another beer, you may have a valid medical excuse: Allergies. A recent study of 20 people with allergic rhinitis to pollens given Sapporo brand beer showed a reduction in allergy symptoms.

Of the participants, 60% reported less sneezing and 55% reported less runny nose, as well as a significant improvement in symptom-medication scores.

Sapporo Breweries Ltd, the company that makes Sapporo beer, has found that their beer is useful in treating allergic rhinitis symptoms because of the presence of hop flavonol glycosides, a natural anti-histamine. The company plans to also study the effects of beer on allergy symptoms related to dust exposure.

Find out more:

Comments
July 29, 2008 at 5:55 am
(1) Brian says:

I’ve had asthma all my life (now 38) and I’ve found that a 12 oz. Budweiser or BudLight every 12 hours keeps my allergy to cats, dogs, grass, dust & pollen at bay. As a result, we have both a cat and dog that live in the house with my wife, me, an our kids I take NO meds for my asthma. I do have albuterol in the house for an emergency, but only need it maybe 3x a year.

April 8, 2009 at 4:21 pm
(2) Bottleboy says:

I am not so sure. I love good beer – the traditional European variety – ales – but any alcohol worsens hay fever symptoms. Alcohol dilates blood vessels and with hay fever, it makes nose get stuffier. Its horrible. I skipped alcohol the whole of last year and my hay fever was very mild. I started again from Jan this year (less than 10 units a week), and I already have bad hay fever. Its only April. It will get Worse in June for me.

September 16, 2009 at 11:05 am
(3) ishaan says:

what you said is true, I have a very bad allergy from dust & i have noticed that whenever i drink beer, I stop sneeezing & my nose stops running. Thats amazing.

March 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm
(4) Missy says:

I’m a runner with bad hayfever, so in the spring I usually turn into a sneezy faucet nose after runs. I’ve noticed that when I have a beer afterwards, my symptoms relieve- but thought I was crazy to believe beer was the cause. Thursday I didn’t have an after-run beer and had a faucet nose for 18 hours; 3 sips into my Friday night beer I could breathe though my nose again and my symptoms completely stopped! If it’s the hops that cures me, is there a way I get it in a non-alcoholic form? I believe it works, but run 5 days a week!

September 4, 2012 at 11:03 am
(5) Don says:

I hate to say it but it really works. I suffer in the morning because drinking beer in the morning is frowned upon. But it does work.
Canadian beer works also.

December 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(6) Elly says:

I get bad allergies all year round, though wasn’t that bad last summer or throughout the year, but this Spring came and it came back worse than ever, plus my immune system has been struggling, and I’m getting chronic infections. I have chronic asthma, eczema, and am always itching, allergic rhinitis is particularly bad in Spring and Summer. I take all sorts of things to prevent hayfever and to treat it, but I had a very bad hayfever attack yesterday, which went on all day until I was exhausted and went to bed. I was worried today as I had run out of antihistamines, and being out gardening and also stirring up dust in the house, I started to get it again, I had just one beer just because I was hot and thirsty, and my most of my symptoms lessened dramatically as I was drinking it, almost immediately, no more itchy eyes, nose and sneezing! Only downside is I have some drowsiness, slight throbbing headache, and a bit of dryness in mouth and nose, but always get these symptoms anyway after having anti-histamines.

May 12, 2013 at 3:37 pm
(7) allergyGirl says:

It is any beer that works! I found this out many years ago when at a home & garden show. I had terrible allergy attack and my husband had me sit down and gave me some of his beer to calm me since I was so miserable. Within 10 minutes the symptoms stopped. I have been on and off allergy shots for dust mites all my life. Sudafed, Allegra and Benadryl only do so much. When these meds can’t stop my attacks of miserable nonstop runny nose, itchy eyes and sinus pressure I have a beer, and half way through the beer the symptoms stop. Today I had one again I think from all the pollen on top of my dust allergies. So I decided to look it up to figure out why just beer does this, I have not noticed it in wine or anything else. Just beer. I am having a Corona beer now and my systems are going away.