1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.
Daniel More, MD

Allergies at the Dentist

By July 10, 2007

Follow me on:

Most people will do just about anything to avoid going to the dentist, but those people who have experienced allergic reactions after dental work have even more reason to dread these appointments. Allergic reactions occuring while in the dentist chair can be due to many causes, including medications administered to exposure to latex. Anxiety and hyperventilation can mimic allergic reactions, and convince even experienced dentists and physicians that a person is experiencing anaphylaxis.

Have you had a reaction at the dentist that you think may have been caused by an allergy? Consider seeing an allergist for further evalaution, and read these articles:

Comments
October 29, 2009 at 9:35 pm
(1) Kathy W. says:

Since 1996 I have had a severe reaction to work I had done at the dentist office. It began with slight congestion after one visit and progressively became worse until after 5 visits I ended up at the MD’s office immediately after the dentist with an IV and swollen throat. Since then I never have used local anesthesia again thinking that was the problem. I now always have IV sedation. Six months ago when I had some work done, teeth cleaning and onlays, I had a major reaction to the cement. My throat swelled up, couldn’t breathe and the denist had to wake me up. I was immediately put on steroids. Several trips to the allergist showed no allergic reaction to the novacaine or the cement. I am at a loss as what to do next, I am really hesitant about going to the dentist again, and I have a broken tooth that needs to be fixed.

March 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm
(2) Paul says:

have you checked reaction for latex? Latex is everywhere at the dentist.

February 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm
(3) lisa says:

i too have several times went to the dentist and either a few days or a few hours later depending on how many visits i recently had also would get these red welt rashes on my face after cementing a tooth back in or other work….now i also used to get my nails done yrs ago and had a similar reaction progressively….my cuticals would itch after i had the nails done……after so many times getting them done it finally swelled my fingers to the poiint i thought they were going to explode and itch….i had to rip the nails off and my own came off with it….i never gopt my nails done again….which brings me to the conclusion the cememnt that the dentist uses smells like the acrylic base that they use with the nails….not only would i get the rash on the face but my tongue and throat would also sell up…..and it would not go away for weeks at a time……still have not got any real answer to this from doctors but this is my conclusion

June 3, 2012 at 7:56 pm
(4) Michelle says:

I too have an allergy to acrylic nails and dental cements used. I’m searching for a cement the dentist can use on my teeth, as I need some dental work done. Last visit to the dentist I had a severe reaction to the cement which had acrylic in it and ended up in the ER 3 x’s in a 24 hr period. I even told the dentist about my allergy to acrylic. I’m scared to death of getting dental work done. Anyone have any advise of what materials the dentist uses on you with this allergy?

February 24, 2013 at 11:56 am
(5) Amy R. says:

Kathy, I’m right there with you. The products I have become sensitive to, besides latex are: Eugenol, this sedative agent is often used in cements, and methylparabens, a preservative; gluten, soy , dairy… food allergies.
This past visit 3 days ago, has left me contemplating my safety. My breathing returned to normal within 2 hours, with fresh air. The congestion is almost gone. The chemical peel of my gum is on the mend. It was the most scared I have been since latex caused anaphylactic shock 9 years ago. Please, for your own good, communicate with your dentist and regular doctor, and also allergist if you have one.
If you notice allergic reactions after your dentist uses a cement symptoms such as tissue damage and inflammation you may have an allergy to eugenol. Be sure to tell your dentist right away if you show signs of an allergy.Symptoms occurring after the use of local anesthetics may be due to a variety of causes, including anxiety, hyperventilation, toxic effects of the drug itself, vaso-vagal reactions, as well as reactions to epinephrine, which is frequently added to local anesthetics to make the numbing effect last longer.
It is also possible for a person to experience an allergic reaction to preservatives added to local anesthetics. Methylparabens are the most common preservatives added to multi-use vials of local anesthetics. Allergy to methylparabens, while still uncommon, is far more common than true allergy to local anesthetics themselves.
Best of luck to you all.
Amy R.
Alameda, Ca

July 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm
(6) CS says:

For those who are allergic to acrylics, old fashioned zinc phospate cement is still available. This is the only type of dental cement that does not contain any type of acrylic.

Many cases of Burning Mouth Syndome are probably cause by allergies to dental materials. In the past 10 years dentists began using lithium disilicate ceramics for crowns and bridges. These types of ceramics have been shown to be cytotoxic however. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17675143
Anyone with sensitivities to dental materials should avoid ceramics like emax and dsign from Ivoclar. Commonly used zircon crowns also often have a lithium disilicate ceramic from Noritake called Cerebian. Make sure to get a complete list of all ingredients in dental work before undergoing any dental procedure.

March 13, 2014 at 7:42 am
(7) Susan says:

Face lesion after Dentist
I took my daughter to the dentist for a filling (first time she has had one).
We left, and on the way home she said her cheek was itching Really bad.
When I arrived home and saw her face, she had what appeared to be almost a blistery looking lesion about the size of a half-dollar on her face.
I took her to an allergist who was stumped because it was localized and on the Outside of her cheek. (which is why they ruled out latex)
I have no idea what could have caused this reaction. I am taking her to her pediatrician today for follow-up advice on treatment as I do not want area to scar.
Has anyone ever heard of such? It looks like a burn mark on her face. Today it is flatter and deep red.

April 8, 2014 at 7:41 pm
(8) Angela says:

I dont know if this is to late to respond to your question, but the lesion that showed up on your daughters face could have been due to the dentist accidentally touching that spot with one of the instruments that they use. This happened to me once. It didn’t show up right away it started hurting and feeling irritated and a burn like mark showed up. Hope this helps .

On the main topic I just took my daughter for a cleaning and she had a cavity so they gave her Novocaine and she developed a rash on her face, neck , and back. It looks like tiny red pin pricks. I guess it is pretty rare but its day two and it looks the same.

April 23, 2014 at 1:24 am
(9) particular dentist made says:

I have read so many articles concerning the blogger lovers except
this piece of writing is really a pleasant post,
keep it up.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.

We comply with the HONcode standard
for trustworthy health
information: verify here.