1. Health
Daniel More, MD

Omnaris: A New Nasal Steroid for Allergies

By May 20, 2008

Omnaris (ciclesonide) is a new nasal steroid that has recently become available for the treatment of allergies. Do we need yet another nasal steroid? Omnaris joins many other nasal steroids available for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, including Flonase (fluticasone propinoate), Nasonex (mometasone), Veramyst (fluticasone furoate), Rhinocort (budesonide), Nasacort (triamcinolone) and others. Therefore, any new nasal steroid needs to establish a niche that separates it from the rest of the pack.

Omnaris is a pro-drug that is metabolized to its active form in the nasal mucosa. It is delivered to the nose in an inactive form, and has little to no steroid side effects prior to its activation within the nose. Therefore, Omnaris has no known whole-body steroid effects, including no increased risk for glaucoma, cataract formation, or Cushing syndrome. Omnaris also comes in a hypotonic solution (lower salt concentration that in human blood), which keeps the medication in the nose longer, and is less likely to drain in the throat.

Does this all mean that Omnaris is better than other nasal steroids? Time will tell. In the meantime, nasal steroids are the single best therapy for the treatment of allergic rhinitis.

Comments
May 21, 2008 at 1:56 pm
(1) Art says:

I don’t understand. How does being hypotonic prevent it from dripping down the throat?

May 29, 2008 at 12:10 pm
(2) typhoon says:

As stated, hypotonic means that the solution is less saline than plasma. When the solution hits the mucous membrane water will be sucked out of the solution, thus reducing its fluidity. Theoretically this could mean that there is less dripping.

September 28, 2008 at 9:26 pm
(3) sunchasers says:

All I know is this stuff works. None of the others have EVER worked for me. Not even a little bit. My nose/sinuses haven’t been this clear in years. No more snoring either!!!! And I used to wake the neighbors! My doctors gave a sample to me a little over a week ago, and I’m sold. I’m calling for a prescription.

December 8, 2008 at 7:12 pm
(4) mike says:

I agree! I have been suffering for almost 13 yrs and this is the 1st drug that has helped. Apparently, I have what is called non-allergy rhinitis and the normal drugs do not help me (ex. zyrtec, flonase, allegra, nasonex, just to name a few)

January 7, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(5) Jess says:

I agree! Got a free sample from my Doc and can breathe again. Also no foul taste, sore throat or dripping after use…just GREAT!

April 30, 2009 at 7:07 pm
(6) Jen says:

I just used this for the first time and am very happy with it! It is the first spray that doesn’t end up going down my throat. It also barely came out of my nose. I am satisfied so far!

May 15, 2009 at 12:16 pm
(7) Fonda says:

I have been suffering from allergies for over 25 years. I took my first dose last night before bed and feel like a new woman. I was able to breath out of my nose when I woke up this morning, which I don’t ever remember being able to do. No other nose spray has ever worked for me without irritating my nose or tasting really bad. I have a new energy level with all of this oxygen I am taking in. It is a miracle!

July 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(8) Cassie says:

I have suffered for years with allergies–bronchospasm, sneezes, itchy mouth.Have been using Advair, but now using Omnaris and had a weird reaction this a.m.–shaky, flushed. Am breathing fine.

September 14, 2009 at 2:18 am
(9) Kira says:

I was skeptical but I’ve been using Omnaris for about a week now (Doctor sample) and I’m amazed. I used to have numerous sneezing fits a day and be chronically stuffy. Now I rarely sneeze and haven’t been stuffy at all. I love this stuff!

September 25, 2009 at 4:30 pm
(10) John in Moapa says:

I’ve had “vasomotor” rhinitis for over 20 years. I’m an RN and every MD I’ve worked with has thrown up there hands in frustration as far as finding anything that will open my nose, oral or topical spray. Corrective septal surgery also ineffective. Afrin (Oxymetazoline) works beautifully, but then I have rebound and end up taking months to get off it. I’m going to try this Omnaris with the hope it truly is different than all the useless RX’d non-steroidals.

September 30, 2009 at 1:39 am
(11) Lew Payne says:

I’ve just sprayed my first dose of Omnaris into my sinuses, two minutes ago. I still don’t feel any relief… it must not be working. I will have to go back to my own concoction which consists of one part Flonase to three parts Nasonex to two parts Veramyst and four parts Nasacort. Mix with a dropper into empty tubinaire (Decadron Phosphate), mix well and begin using. If that does not work, add a little afrin to the mix.

January 19, 2010 at 4:13 pm
(12) Watts says:

After a week of use my nose is bloody and it is not working. One side effect noted is it may changes menstration will I had a huge change. I will go back to using the old stuff.

January 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm
(13) Maggie says:

This stuff is AMAZING! I have been suffering for a long time now from non-seasonal allergies, and have been using Afrin for about 2 years straight now (for those of you who use Afrin, I won’t go into how this spray works and how you get addicted to it) and I thought I would never get off of it! I have been using Omnaris for a little over a week now, and I have to say, I am LOVING the fact that I feel like “me” again! After the first day of using this, I have been able to breathe again — no stuffiness, no congestion, no itchy eyes/ears/throat/mouth (it would get so bad I wanted to jab a pen in my eye to stop the itching!) and yes, all without the aid of Afrin. I’ve tried all of the Rx nasal sprays in the past and none of them have worked, so I admit I was a bit skeptic at first when my doc recommended it…bot boy am I glad he did! I am going to do some research on the long-term side-effects of corticosteroids…but for now, I am just going to bask in my glory and enjoy being able to breathe again :)

February 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm
(14) unlvrebelx says:

I’m really glad I read this thread……I had major issues going on, and have had perennial rhinitis for years. The case was really bad last week, and I simply couldn’t breath through my nose, even using Afrin or a decongestant. It was too inflamed. After using this spray for TWO days, I’ve noticed DRASTIC improvement…..I’m SOLD!!! I’ve used other steroidal sprays, with SOME success…..nothing was this dramatic at helping things clear up. Just realize that its not Afrin and won’t clear you up in 5 minutes…..but after 24 hours, I felt much, much better.

April 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm
(15) Ed Roach says:

I have been using Omnaris for over a year now. I have seasonal allergies. It has worked very well for me. My insurance provider dis-allowed Omnaris and had a generic replacemaent Fluticazone Propionate ( not equivilant just replacement) for the last ten days I have been suffering greatly. Went to my Doctor he gave me a trial of Omnaris two hours ago, and I feel great, almost instant relief. Health choice my insurance provider says I have to fail the generic, well it failed and I have been sick as a dog, I hate Health choice. Nothing will come between me and Omnaris agian.

May 25, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(16) Jim says:

This is the best nasal steroid I ever used!! For the first time my nose is open and stays open all day, I have used every spray known to man with zero help. I think the fact it does not contain that preservative benzalkonium chloride is the trick, that is known to cause irritation and rebound congestion, (Years of research trust me, I am a nasal suffer, lol)
I only use 1 spray once a day and it works wonders with zero side effects. Great job guys, finally one that works!!!
Give it a try, I bet you will be happy you did.

May 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm
(17) Jim says:

Check out the Omnaris webpage, they have a program for free where you sign up and they give you $50 off each re-fill for 12 months, not sure if they do this more than one year but still, one year basically free. You get a little card you bring to the pharmacy and boom, money off copay.
My life has changed with this stuff, I went from daily suffering to feeling like I did prior to my allergies destroying me, I actually can smell the outdoors again with clogging right up, what a pleasure it is to breathe again!!!

July 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(18) cindman says:

I was prescribed Omnaris for nasal snoring….ONLY. I don’t have an allergy problem at all. It works Wonderfully. No more snoring. I have never slept better or felt better. Has anyone else been prescribed this way? My insurance will no longer cover this med because it is not generic and wants to move me to another med. I wonder if I can fight them on this since I am using this for a completely different symptom than what the med is usually given for???? Any ideas?

March 15, 2012 at 7:40 pm
(19) Matt says:

Omnaris is the only thing that worked for me. Everything else dripped down my throat and cause a sore throat. It is the only thing that could control my sinus headaches.

Now they have stopped production and I’m panicking! They say it’s for safety reasons but apparently there is also a spat between the manufacturer and the marketing firm, leaving their dedicated patients hanging. Not cool! I’m ready to go to Canada to find this stuff!

April 5, 2012 at 10:39 am
(20) Armando says:

For almost over a year now I have what my Dr. said is a Post Nasal Dripping and he prescribed Nasonex…I used it for over 4 weeks…it helpd clear my sinus but didn’t help the contineous irritating and very slow dripping…A friend said that Omnaris is much better than Nasonex!!! Can anyone tell me if Omnaris might help me with Post nasal dripping? thanks

April 18, 2012 at 5:18 pm
(21) gerry k says:

Matt…Have you found a solution to the problem that Omnaris is not available anymore? I can’t get it either!

July 11, 2012 at 6:19 am
(22) Tara Read says:

Please dont tell me it is not available anymore???? I just used it for the first time today, doctor gave me sample, and i feel better than i have ever felt in years after using so so many others with fail! i feel alive again

September 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm
(23) Mt says:

The new ciclesonide nasal aerosol it is now called ZETONNA. It is the same as OMNARIS

September 4, 2012 at 7:02 am
(24) dee says:

I have been to 8 different allergy Dr.s and they said I wasn’t allergic to anything …but I had coughed for 20 years. One week of treatment with Omnaris ….no more cough.

November 13, 2012 at 3:09 pm
(25) Rebecca Smith says:

* I * need a new nasal allergy spray.
I am tired of suffering on a thousand different drugs from prescription antihistamines, nasal sprays, singulair, etc., and still coughing constantly from globs of mucus until my ribs fracture, but without the meds my eyes swell up and itch so badly I rubbed out my eyelashes and my nose looks like Rudolph. The coughing is worse without any drugs because the flow of watery mucus is constant.

So far NO allergy corticosteroid spray or pill or anything else alone or in combination with anything has worked. I have 3 healed rib fractures and 2 healing. Its not a way to live.

These testimonials just cinched the deal. I’m asking my doctor for Omnaris.

June 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm
(26) Renee says:

Does anyone have a problem with morning phlegm – clear or light yellow as a result of sinuses? My sinus have been so bad the last couple of days that I can not breath. I went on Zetonna for the 2nd time and again, I had to go off because I think it is the Zetonna that makes my sinuses worse. Does anyone else have problems with Zetonna and post nasal drip – especially the morning build up of phlegm?