1. Health
Daniel More, MD

Should I Take Claritin, Zyrtec or Allegra?

By January 10, 2011

My patients frequently ask me which over-the-counter antihistamine they should take -- Claritin, Zyrtec or Allegra? You might be thinking, "Wait a second, I didn't know Allegra is available over-the-counter?" As of now, it isn't, but Allegra should be available over-the-counter this spring. But, if you're thinking these antihistamines are all the same -- well, they aren't. Depending on the allergic condition being treated, the age of the person, as well as other underlying issues (such as pregnancy), the best choice of antihistamine might be different. So, instead of thinking that these medicines are all the same, learn more about each one of them and figure out which choice is the best for you.

Read more:

Comments
March 14, 2012 at 1:41 am
(1) Joy says:

Claritin and Zyrtec are OTC, but in some online pharmacies..claritin and Zyrtec are in prescription category.. What about them. Are they as effective or more effective than Claritin available in OTC.

You could find generic for claritin and Zyrtec available in International Drug Mart.

Please let me know if they are as good as OTC..?

June 17, 2012 at 3:08 am
(2) Bioriaruini says:

Helloalohaall!!!

September 21, 2012 at 10:21 am
(3) Me says:

This article was completely worthless? Q: Which should I take? A: Learn more about each one to find out which is best for you.

THAT’S WHY I CLICKED ON THIS ARTICLE IN THE FIRST PLACE! Y’all stupid.

September 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm
(4) Ms Pony says:

This article certainly leaves something to be desired.

I opened the page because I wanted a considered opinion on the differences between the three allergy meds. All I got was, “Here are links. Look for yourself.”

A waste of time and bandwidth.

Why is this person an About.com Guide? From the look of this article, his “educated advice” is incredibly un-helpful.

October 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm
(5) Shera says:

I agree this article is completely worthless. I’m in the web content business and I have a good idea of why the page was published this way. They likely wanted to quickly set up a page to capture traffic for a popular search term, winning more page views for their site. Then when you have to click on the next link, well, there are even more page views for about.com.

October 5, 2012 at 11:19 am
(6) SarahSea says:

the person who trashed the article must not have seen the links to detailed info about each of the medications. I found it very helpful to these three articles, with similar structure for easier comparison, gathered in one place.

January 14, 2013 at 10:09 am
(7) ym says:

The article should’ve paraphrases the three links. This isn’t really a response. I could’ve gone to the product descriptions of each to read about them; was hoping to get an expert opinion.

January 22, 2013 at 6:09 pm
(8) Trevor says:

I agree. This article blows. Why do I need an Md to point me to articles I can find on my own?

Thanks for the info… BUT WE WANT YOUR OPINION DUDE!!!

January 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm
(9) Sam says:

Useless. And Daniel More, MD who wrote this article, wrote the three linked articles which are just as useless. Thanks for wasting my time!

February 27, 2013 at 7:39 am
(10) Wesley says:

I really blog too and I am posting something comparable to
this post, _Should I Take Claritin, Zyrtec or Allegra?
_ fixredringofdeath.net .
Will you mind in the event that Iemploy several of your personal
suggestions? Many thanks -Cyril

April 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm
(11) Matt says:

The article is very useful to those who can actually read with any level of comprehension. There are links to descriptions of all 3 medications and the links compare effectiveness, side effects, and risk to expectant mothers. What else do you want?

April 24, 2013 at 9:30 am
(12) AE says:

What I want is a brief synopsis of each medicine; not a link to learn more. Why do people create these? Do they get a benefit from advertising if visitors have to click to a different link? Stop wasting peoples’ time when they are having severe nose-drippings and watery eyes (okay, that last part was a joke, but the rest was serious).

May 3, 2013 at 6:01 am
(13) Carlos Ruiz says:

I just wanted to know the best of the group in your opinión … well, I did not get your opinion!
Thanks

May 15, 2013 at 10:42 am
(14) Paul Perkins says:

After i tookmAllegra, I had thoughts and urges to murder people. I mean to do them incredible bodily harm. I stopped after one dose and the urges,went away. Now I just take a CVS long lasting nasal spray and suffer through the Spring.

June 2, 2013 at 10:22 am
(15) CD says:

Over the counter Claritin has always worked for me in the spring and summer. I take it for indoor and outdoor allergies. I’ve taken Zyrtec before and to me, it isn’t strong enough like Claritin. Claritin normally works for me in after 10 minutes of me taking it, Zyrtec didn’t seem to kick it at all. I’ve never taken Allegra. I would like to know if there is something stronger than Claritin only because in May and June, my allergies are in high gear and although Claritin works, I would like something a bit more stronger.

June 12, 2013 at 9:14 am
(16) MiMi says:

OK….I have tried Zyrtec which was worthless to me….did nothing to help. I have been taking Allegra which has worked for some time….just recently though I have had issues with it as well. 24 hour relief is what it is suppose to give….I now only get about 1/2 of this. I am going to speak to the pharmacist about this and see if there is anything else I might try. I am only having eye issues….not sinus issues as I have had previously.

July 26, 2013 at 7:27 pm
(17) Online Cash Advance says:

respectable Learn More Here

August 25, 2013 at 4:25 pm
(18) Gary says:

I learned more reading the comments then the article itself LOL

September 7, 2013 at 9:44 am
(19) Terri says:

Terrible! A waste of time.

November 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm
(20) Jason says:

Just terrible.

December 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm
(21) harleyh says:

Take Allegra, for real… and yes, this article is dumb and misleading. Anyways, try allegra.

March 19, 2014 at 11:55 am
(22) boo says:

as with everything else on about…

useless…thanks

March 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm
(23) PNW says:

I think this article was tremendously helpful. After taking a minute to click on each link and read through (the three links are actually an extension of this article and are written by Dr. More; they are not links to the respective products’ websites), I was given a concise 2-3 paragraphs of Dr. More’s knowledge as it pertains to comparing these three products, along with citations on where to confirm this info. This was why I looked at the article to begin with, so thanks Dr More :)