1. Health
Daniel More, MD

Generic Singulair Approved

By August 11, 2012

Don't be surprised if the next refill of Singulair you get from the pharmacy looks a little different -- it just became a generic medication. Singulair (montelukast) is an oral leukotriene receptor antagonist approved for the treatment of allergic rhinitis and asthma in adults and children 6 months of age and older, available by prescription only. It is an extremely popular medication, and is often used as a first-line asthma controller medication, especially for children. Singulair seems to be very effective for up to one-third of patients, in my experience, partially effective for one-third, and ineffective for one-third.

Singulair has recently been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to be produced in generic form (as montelukast) by at least 2 to 3 different companies. While having generic medications is generally a good thing -- the prescription cost drops, sometimes dramatically -- it also means that doctors will no longer receive samples of Singulair. Giving patients a couple of weeks of samples is a nice way of trying out the benefits of a medication without having to make a purchase first. Unfortunately, having a generic version of Singulair means that a person will have to purchase the medication before they acutally know if the medication works for them or not.

Read more:

Comments
August 22, 2012 at 11:35 am
(1) David says:

I think you just said that Merck isn’t a very nice company. Now that they no longer own the inflated $3 billion market they can’t keep giving out samples?

September 1, 2012 at 9:01 am
(2) Howard says:

David, drug companies spend huge amounts of money to develop drugs that help people. The government puts as many roadblocks and delays in their way, which only hurt the public and add huge costs to their development. (And then despite complete compliance with the FDA, when something goes wrong, it’s the drug company, not the FDA, that is sued). Yes, they make profits on the drugs–why on earth would a company go through this hell if it wasn’t going to make money? My wife worked for Wyeth, so I know what that hell is. When the drug finally goes generic, the original company won’t be selling much anymore, so why would they send out samples?

September 17, 2012 at 6:19 am
(3) Mic says:

My singulair refill was filled w/the generic… so far I have taken 3 pills from it, and none of them have worked!! I’ve had to use my albuterol with it also. I have never had to use my albuterol w/singulair. I do NOT like the generic!! Does not work for me!!!!

September 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm
(4) Connie says:

I received a generic replacement for Singular last week. Although the generic and the brand are supposed to be identical, they in fact are not. I have been on Singulair for over 10 years and have not had an asthma attack. Today, after being on the generic for 5 days, I now have asthma symptoms. I contacted the pharmacy to let them know that the generic is not effective for me. Initially, they informed me that I would need to pay the full price for the brand name. I told them to contact my insurance company and let them know that a visit to the emergency room would be much more expensive. The insurance company provided an over-ride, and I received a supply of brand name Singulair for my copay.

September 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(5) Elaine says:

Yes, I have had the same experience. My pharmacy refilled with a generic version. I used to only need a half a pill of singulair, I have been taking a whole pill of the generic and woke up last night with the worst allergy attack I have had in two years. The generic seems to do nothing for me.

September 25, 2012 at 7:21 am
(6) JeTain says:

Generic Singulair is horrible…I’ve had trouble breathing for the last week !!

September 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm
(7) Jeanie says:

My daughter has been on Singulair for several years. (Preemie with multiple complications) She is now 8 years old and this is the only med she still needs. We started the generic several weeks ago and she has not had any negative effects. We’ve noticed no difference whatsoever (besides the cost!!) . What a lifesaver for us!!

October 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm
(8) John R. says:

I was switched to the generic two weeks ago. Since then I have had trouble sleeping, I have had to use my inhaler (something that use to gather dust on my shelf while on Singular), and i have had other problems. Suddenly the little square pill that controlled my condition beautifully for years is no more, back to square one. I have a health provided that operates its own pharmacies and no longer stocks the brand, just the generic. So now I have to get a scrip for the brand and go outside the system to buy it.

October 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm
(9) Julie says:

My brother deemed Singulair a “miracle drug” for treating his allergies. Before using the drug, nothing else had offered relief from congestion, headache, itchy eyes, allergy asthma, etc. My son’s allergy symptoms are nearly identical to his an the OTC meds aren’t working so I asked the doctor for an RX for Singulair. My son was given a generic by the pharmacy and I was assured it was identical to Singulair.

My son has been on the generic for less than a week so we haven’t seen any allergy improvements just yet but I’m wondering if we should have tried actual Singulair and that this generic will never work. My brother recently switched to the generic and has been miserable since. Says it doesn’t work.

October 10, 2012 at 7:20 am
(10) Kari says:

I have been sick for over a month from Bronchitis to Pneumonia and now severe allergies. This whole time I have been taking the generic Singulair. Hopefully I can get the brand one and will repost if I notice a difference.

October 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm
(11) SamanthaM says:

I also have been using the generic Singulair for just over a month. Concurrent with the generic, I began having awful allergy symptoms, particularly a constant cold thick, sticky phlegm in the back of my throat. I do have some nasal drainage issues, and it’s true we are having increased allergy activity here in Indiana, but this has been ridiculous. Nothing has thinned the secretion, it can’t be coughed or (gross, sorry) swallowed, and blowing my nose constantly doesn’t help. Neither does my NasaFlow (squeeze bottle version of the Neti Pot). I have actually had to resort to dampening a tissue and wiping the back of my throat to get this stuff out/off. I’m already prone to migraines and the nose blowing, hard swallowing, etc. has put so much stress on my facial muscles I’ve given myself a headache the past two days.

I was once given a sample of the nasal spray Patanase (generic Astelin or astelazine) to take in conjunction with the Singular (brand) and it was wonderful. I had zero symptoms for the first time in years. Then I found out my insurance wouldn’t cover it since it had generics. Except the generics leave an awful metallic taste in your throat which taints everything you eat or drink.

I just want to be out of my misery.

October 12, 2012 at 8:56 pm
(12) Chris says:

I too was given the generic and took it for thirty days. Not only did I notice the fact that I was receiving zero allergy relief I also started using my rescue inhaler was unable to do my full workout of aerobics, was constricted in my breathing and by the last pill in the bottle had been suffering depression,and was unable to exist a full day without feeling horrible all over. My husband noticed my emotional change. My lack in desire to exercise or go past six pm was concerning him as well. I had never felt like any of this before. I took brand singular for over ten years and it was extremely successful in keeping my asthma and allergies under control. I reported all of this to the pharmacist, my doctor and finally called merck. Merck said I needed to report it to the national agency. I did as should you. I need brand and can’t afford it,insurance won’t pay.

October 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm
(13) lfmom says:

My 4 year old daughter has been in singulair for about 2 years for allergies and slight asthma symptoms. Singulair worked beautifully and she could breathe easier and her coughing stopped completely. Last month, her prescription was refilled with the generic singulair for the first time. After 2 weeks, allergy symptoms started to appear. Now she is unable to breathe due to persistant congestion and has been coughing sporadically. No, I do not think generic Singulair is as near as effective as regular Singulair. I hope I can get my insurance company to realize this as well.

October 16, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(14) Cindy says:

I’ve been on Singulair 2 years and only had to use my rescue inhaler a few times every couple months. I received the generic on my last refill and within days I began having to use my inhaler 1-2x a day, I had stuffy sinuses and my allergies went into overdrive. By day 10 I was using my inhaler every 4-6 hours. Then on day 12 my asthma was so bad I thought I was going to have to go to the emergency room. My peak flow rate was 250, the lowest it has ever been (norm is 450) and even after 6×2 puffs spaced over an hour I was still wheezing. Fortunately I remembered I had some Flovent and even though it isn’t supposed to to be fast acting, it calmed it down so I could get a little sleep. Nothing in my environment had been out of the ordinary so I was dumbfounded as to why my asthma had taken such a drastic change for the worse. Then it finally dawned on me when I took my next dose of generic and began wondering. So I figured out how many pills I’d taken and realized that the onset of the increasing asthma attacks began occuring only a few days after I started taking the generic. Since Singulair takes several weeks to build up in your system so it reaches the full effect it probably takes almost as long to completely shed it from your system so I must have had some residual remaining at first and that’s why the increasing attacks were gradual.

October 16, 2012 at 10:32 pm
(15) Cindy says:

Many Insurance plans have added language that implies you will pay the entire difference between brand and generic, plus pay the deductible. This isn’t necessarily the case. My plan says: ‘The Plan requires the use of generics if generics are available. If you request a brand-name drug when a generic is available, you are liable for the difference between the brand-name and generic price in addition to the brand-name copay. The only exception is if the physician writes “Dispense As Written” on the prescription, then you only pay the appropriate brand-name copay.’

If the generic isn’t working, ask your doctor for a new prescription “Dispense As Written” . Review your plan benefits and if necessary appeal. Your doctor should handle this for you. If it’s denied ask your doctor continue appealing until they exhaust the process, emphasizing this could become a life or death matter. I had something recently that took 3 appeals before it was approved.

October 18, 2012 at 11:07 am
(16) Denise says:

My 9-year-old son has been on Singulair for 2 years because of asthma. During those 2 years he has only had to use his rescue inhaler maybe 1 or 2 times. But, since the switch to the generic (about 1-1/2 months ago), he’s had a severe croup attack during the night (had to place him in the shower with steam in order for his airway to relax) and has been using his rescue inhaler DAILY 3 to 4 times a day.

So, no the generic form of this is not working for us.

I’ve contacted his pediatrician and spoke with the nurse who tried to reassure me that the generic is the exact same as the brand name of Singulair and that it is “just that time of the year.” I don’t agree with that for a second. My son’s respiratory problems are just as they were before we began treatment with Singulair.. wheezing, can’t complete a sentence without coughing.

October 18, 2012 at 11:35 am
(17) Denise says:

Just following up, I just contacted Merck at 800-444-2080. and filled out a complaint in regards to the ineffectiveness of the generic form of singulair. The gentleman was very nice and said Merck wants people to report any problems that may arise with generic forms of medications. Merck lost the patent to this drug and there are many companies now making a generic version of it.

October 21, 2012 at 8:03 pm
(18) cmilton says:

I have been on singulair for the last couple of years for severe allergies and allery induced asthma.After about the first year I felt like it was somewhat under control.I had always been able to get samples from my doctor and when they finally came out with a generic I was happy.Finished the first bottle just fine and had started my second refil.I always take my singulair at night and I noticed in the morning I would wake up itching and it kept getting worse and worse until I was covered in hives and couldnt figure out what was going on,went to my doctor and said she had another patient in there that was having the same thing and figured out it was the generic singulair and that since the med is the same it is prob the dye or the binding they use.Havent taken it the last few days and the itching and hives are gone.She wrote me a prescibtion for the name brand and it is going to cost about 20 more,but for now my insurance is going to pay their half and let me have it but had ro wait until monday for pharmacy to order it,so am hoping it works.

October 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm
(19) Connie, too says:

I had been on Singulair for asthma for a few years, and was much worse on the generic; in fact, I could barely breathe Saturday, and I forgot to pick up my refill, so no generic on Saturday night. Sunday morning I woke up with NO asthma symptoms at all. I really feel like the generic was worsening my asthma.

October 27, 2012 at 1:34 am
(20) Lance says:

I was switched to the generic 2 months ago and my asthma has been slowly getting worst. MD started me on prednisone and wants me to follow up in 3 weeks. I didn’t even know where my rescue inhaler was at until recently. I feel like I’m constantly tightening up : (

November 4, 2012 at 12:06 am
(21) Ashley says:

I have had moderate to severe asthma and allergies since childhood. I was prescribed Singulair in 1998, and it has always been my miracle drug. If I take it every night I rarely ever need to use an inhaler; if I miss a day or two, I can tell a huge difference and will need my inhaler every couple of hours.
My 9 year old son also has allergies and asthma, and has been on singulair for several years. We both are about halfway through our second month of generic montelukast. The first month, we both were much more stuffy and using our inhalers more, but I thought it was just extra bad fall allergies. As I was picking up this month’s Rx, it dawned on me that our problems started right when we began the generic. I figured I would give it another month, but a week later, I have taken 2 10mg each night, along with Zyrtec and Benadryl, and I am still waking up wheezing every couple of hours an can’t leave the house without my albuterol inhaler. THIS SUCKS! I can’t breathe, and from using my inhaler constantly, I am very grouchy and irritable, with my heart racing, but still sleepy from the extra Benadryl I’m taking.
I will be calling whoever I have to Monday morning to get us switched back. Even if it will cost me $15 extra per month for each of us, at least I won’t be buying 2 $40 inhalers every 3 weeks.

November 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm
(22) Catherine Frazier says:

I too have had problems with new generic form of Singulair. Thanks to this page, I did contact Merck to make a report, and here’s my story for you all—just so you know you aren’t crazy!

I received my prescription around October 20. Within two or three days of beginning the new generic prescription, I noticed I was using my rescue inhaler a lot more frequently, and in situations I don’t usually use it for. I seldom need it in the middle of the night, yet I’d wake up with a tightness in my chest and wheezing. I’d need two puffs first thing in the morning, again around lunch, in mid-afternoon and before bed—and that was when I was not exerting myself with yard work or walking. Previously I’d use the rescue inhaler maybe once a day, most days not at all. I sucked a brand-new inhaler dry in a week—not good!

The Merck rep was very helpful. Please be patient when you call them, they are just getting back up to speed after Sandy. Here’s the problem we had: I could NOT find a generic manufacturer’s name on the bottle! I’ve since figured out the maker was Kudko Ireland based on the letters Ku on the pill itself. The name on the bottle is Kreme+ which was unsearchable (kept getting Krispy Kreme in the results!). The generic manufacturers are Apotex, Aurobindo Pharma, Endo, Glenmark Generics, Kudco Ireland, Mylan, Roxane Laboratories, Sandoz, Teva, and Torrent.

After you are done doing that, call your doctor and let him/her know you are having a problem and request a new RX with “dispense as written” on that prescription.

Thanks to those of you who came before me and helped me realize I was having a problem and that what I’m taking is little more than a placebo!

November 6, 2012 at 9:09 am
(23) ChelseD says:

I have taken singulair for 10 years now. My asthma was very well controlled on the name brand singulair. I have started taking the generic for singulair for about a month and a half and my asthma is at its worst. When I was a child I was put on this medicine because I would get phenomia almost every year. When I started on singular that all went away. I feel helpless because I am miserable and can’t get relief. I called my insurance company and they told me the Dr would have to write the script and say on there that it was medically necessary for me to be on the name brand since the generic does not work. My Dr said it was not a medical necessity that I have the name brand even though the generic does not work because he said they are the same. They are not the same I take the medicine and I can tell the difference. After being on singular for 10 years and haveing no problems and never having to take my rescue inhaler to the generic where I am constanley taking my inhaler and nebulizer I just feel angery because I feel like they are telling me I dont know what I am taking about. Does anyone else know what I can do?

November 7, 2012 at 10:29 pm
(24) Rose Marie Sarske says:

After starting the generic of Singulair produced by Dr. Reddy’s, I started wheezing and can’t breathe. I have been on the Singulair for over 10 years and it has been life changing for me. I never had to use a resuce inhaler or any other inhaler. The Singulair alone worked so well I hardly knew I had Asthma any more. Now I have gotten very sick with a terrible cough and have that very heavy feeling on my chest. After reading the other comments, now I know it is not in my imagination. I will contact Merck and let them know as well as my doctor. It’s worth whatever I have to pay to get Singulair back.

November 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(25) NA, Maryland says:

Similar problem. I had taken Singulair for years and it controlled my allergy problems. I was switched about 6 weeks ago to the generic, and about 3 weeks ago I started noticing allergy problems and they are getting worse. It’s not a heavy allergy season so I can’t think of what else it could be except the switch to the generic.

November 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm
(26) Kristine says:

Generic Singulair not working at all for me! Doc says its exactly the same, but I beg to differ. I have congestion running down my throat non stop, stuffy nose, ect. I did get an over ride from the Insurance company, but now every time the script runs out, I have to have the pharmacy send a request to the doc, then the doc send a request to the insurance….then wait two weeks before its filled…what a waste of time.

November 8, 2012 at 11:40 pm
(27) ChelseD says:

Hello everyone I posted a comment a few days ago. I went to doctor and he finally wrote the script how I needed it stating it was medically nesssecary for me to have the name brand so my insurance will pay for it I still had a penalty charge but its worth it. I have been taking the name brand for two days and feel a million times better. I can’t believe they think it is the exact same thing as the generic because its not. I would much rather pay less for the generic but it dosent work. Getting my doctor to believe his is impossible.

November 9, 2012 at 11:38 am
(28) Sara says:

I am a nurse and pne day I decided to have my pharmacy switch me from Singulair to generic thinking it would be cheaoer and work well as it did for some of my patients. Well, it didnt work for me at all! Dont get me wrong, I love that generic cost less but I keep having asthma attacks! I will wake up at night wheezing and dangerously SOB. I had my pharmacy fill my the brand name this time, we will see if it makes a difference. :)

November 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm
(29) Alix says:

My asthma is acting up and I think it is the generic Singulair.Too coincidental to be anything else. Not Happy.

November 11, 2012 at 6:57 pm
(30) Twyla Pederson says:

I’ve also thought of Singulair as a miracle drug and was even happy they came our with the generic. It doesn’t work at all though. I need Singulair

November 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm
(31) Twyla Pederson says:

I called Merck at 800-444-2080. It said I might have to wait awhile because of Hurricane Sandy but I got right through. Very friendly people at Merck. They wanted to know the problems I’ve been having with the Generic Singulair and also said my doctor could call them and talk to their medical team if my doctor has any questions about my complaints.

November 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm
(32) Mary Ann says:

I am also having problems with the generic. I too had been on singular for over 10 years and have only had to use my inhaler a handful of times. I started the generic 3 days ago and I am wheezing and my chest is heavy.
After reading the comments posted here I am going to call my doctor tomorrow to see if I can go back to Singular. I am also going to call Merck .

November 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm
(33) melissa says:

I am relieved to see other people are experiencing the same thing. My seven year old daughter has been on Singulair for 3 years and never needed anything else. Two months ago she went on the generic and has constantly been telling me that her chest hurts her and she is always coughing. She now needs an inhaler. The generic does not work!

November 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm
(34) Brogansrun says:

Glad to find this. I use this for exercise induced allergies and asthma. After working out last night at the gym and doing my stretches on the floor, for the first time the dust and exercise gave me an asthma attack. I am switching back to the brand.

November 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(35) Sherry says:

My daughter & I took the generic for 3 weeks and had side effects from these meds also. We have taken singular for years which helped me control my asthma and allergies. I started using my inhaler a couple of times a day and my allergies symptoms are back. My insurance will pay very little and my dr. tried to override the prescription but couldn’t. I can’t believe all people on the site that have the same issues so how did these generics get approved and how do we get these off the market!!!

November 23, 2012 at 1:04 am
(36) anon says:

Hey guys stumbled across this thread and just thought I would add in my experience. I am actually taking singulair for eosinophilic gastroenteritis, an allergic stomach condition. I have mild asthma, but generally just during exercise – easily controlled with an inhaler. That said I started off taking the generic supplied at Walmart – which worked perfectly. Month 2 I switched it to City Market (Grocery) and they carried a different generic as the pills were round instead of square. My asthma was worse off then no meds at all, weird. Switched back to the Walmart generic and all is well again. Just a thought for some of you folks having issues with the generic…Maybe give a different generic a try?

November 25, 2012 at 1:03 am
(37) Jennifer says:

Started taking generic singular about. 5 weeks ago.Developed a cough less than a week later with a lot of sinus drainage. After 1it month plus I still have a cough and a lot of thick phlem Sometimes it is difficult to clear because it is so thick…noticed difference when I first switched. Will be going to my doctor to try to get brand back!

November 27, 2012 at 10:29 am
(38) Michelle says:

I couldn’t figure out why all of a sudden I was having that weird feeling like I couldn’t breathe and my throat felt like it was closing up. I was also clearing my throat all the time, and I had a lot of phlegm. I was coughing a lot in the mornings too. I thought to myself, “I haven’t felt this way since I got on singulair!” Then it dawned on me, “The singulair had changed!” I honestly just thought the shape of the singulair pills had changed when I picked up my prescription. I didn’t even realize I was taking generic until all of my allergy symptoms came back within a week. The generic singulair doesn’t work! It was the round pills that someone else here mentioned. I even called the Walmart by my house hoping to try the square generics, but they only carried the round pills as well. I am now in the process of having my doctor fill out a “Med Watch Form” with my insurance company, hoping they will approve the name brand singulair. The price at CVS for the brand name will now be $400. for three months if this form is not approved! I have already checked into a canadian pharmacy. I can get singulair there for $200. for three months. I just hate that I may be the one who has to pay because some company developed a generic form of singulair that doesn’t even work!

November 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(39) Debbie says:

I have had nothing but problems since the change. I never had to use my rescue inhaler now I use 2 to 3 times a day. I can’t sleep cuz I keep coughing, my sinuses are draining like crazy, I’m coughing up flem. They need to know this is not working. Maybe everyone should start calling the FDA and let them know.

November 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm
(40) emily says:

Generic singulair SUCKS! I have been on it for 3 weeks and my allergies are out of control and my asthma is back. I addition, I have painful nose sores. I KNOW the sores are from the generic (Glenmark) because I stopped taking it 3 days ago and they have all gone away. I took it last night and have dryness in my nose again which is what leads to the nose sores. My damn insurance company is saying I need to pay almost $400 when I used to pay $65 for the real SIngulair. I will be calling MErck too

November 30, 2012 at 1:15 am
(41) Robin says:

I too am having the same asthma symptoms after using the generic just one day. Is there an agency or link that we can report our adverse reactions to this drug?

November 30, 2012 at 10:52 am
(42) Jess says:

Same problem as everybody else seems to be having. Was put on the generic Singulair this month and have been having asthma and allergy problems ever since. Before that I was only using my inhaler when exercising or sick and my allergy problems were minimal. I had pretty much forgotten what it’s like to feel this way everyday. Just called the doctor to ask him to write DAW on my prescriptions. We’ll see what happens. We really do need to call Merck and find out about contacting the FDA. There shouldn’t be generic medications out there that don’t work. We shouldn’t be paying for something that amounts to a placebo!

November 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(43) Ellen says:

My husband, mother and I are all experiencing ineffectivity with Glenmark’s montelukast. I am complaining to FDA, Glenmark, my doctor and my insurance company. My mother’s insurance company has refused to “dispense as written” her dr.’s prescription for Singulari. There’s a big fight ahead of us, but this is really important. You can file an adverse complaint report at FDA here:https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm. The FDA should not set the bar so low and allow ineffective generics to flood the market. Only effective generics should be approved. Wish you all luck with your asthma… I’m short of breath, and hope I can get some real Singulair soon…

December 1, 2012 at 8:38 am
(44) Ellen says:

Yesterday I posted the FDA website url – I tried using it, and it’s antiquated and ineffective. If you want to contact FDA, I suggest calling or snail mail. For sure, if you are having a problem with Glenmark’s generic being ineffective, call Glenmark and file a complaint. (Glenmark is in Mahwah, NJ, 201-684-8000) That’s what I’m going to do on Monday. If enough people file complaints, maybe there will be recourse for us someday.

Meanwhile, I’m buying, out of pocket, some real Singulair, so I can breathe again. My insurance company will not cover it unless I file an appeal by snail mail, and these appeals are often turned down.

December 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm
(45) Jennifer says:

I’m having the same problem as everybody else seems to be having. Was put on the generic Singulair from Glenmark this month and have been taking it for 30 days and I have been having asthma and allergy problems ever since. Before that I was only using my inhaler when was sick and my allergy problems were minimal. I have been needing my inhaler a lot more now. will call Dr tomorrow to get some real singular. i will be calling Glenmark.

December 5, 2012 at 10:04 am
(46) Silvia says:

I have cough- variant asthma, relatively mild. Singulair took care of it. Switched to the generic a few months ago (not sure which — it is from CVS)Now I feel a constant pressure in my chest and I developed an extremely itchy rash. I stopped taking the montelukast yesterday — waiting to see what happens to the rash, but I am beginning to suspect the montelukast has something to do with it. Will also contact Merck and Doctor about it.
This thread has been useful, thanks!

December 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(47) Vicki says:

Well I’ve been trying the generic version of Singulair for 3 weeks and it is not working, then my family doctor told me that FDA says that non generic versions of drugs have to have 95% of the effective drugs in them and generic only has to have 80%. So my doctor called in the real singulair and my pharmacist said my insurance company (Blue Care Network) will approve the regular Singulair but since there is a generic version, I will have to pay a 449.00 copay……….seriously? 2 months ago I could get the singulair for a 40.00 copay, now it’s 449.00?? I told the pharmacist forget it, I’ll just struggle with breathing

December 20, 2012 at 8:54 am
(48) Jenny says:

I’m in same boat as all of you. I have been successfully on signulair for years. Since taking the generic, I’ve had constant coughing, post nasal drip, headaches, sinus pressure, fatigue, foggy headed, random ear pain, sore throat, etc. I take allergy shots and doc put me on prednisone. That didn’t work. I took 3 weeks of antibiotics. That didn’t work. I’ve tried benedryl, cough drops, cough medicine, neti pot, warm fluids, etc. They haven’t worked! I made an appointment with ENT but can’t get in until Feb. This is exhausting. It occurred to me yesterday that maybe it’s the generic singulair that I was recently switched to. Thankfully, I found this forum and now I’m convinced it has to be ineffective. I’m calling pharmacy and allergist today. I’ll gladly pay full price for medication that works! Thank you all for sharing this information. I will also contact manufacturer and FDA. This is a life safety issue for those of you with increased asthma attacks.

December 27, 2012 at 6:50 pm
(49) rfranklin says:

My son has been taking singulair for the last year and it has been a miracle worker. Now he has been switched to the generic version which hasn’t worked at all! He is miserable, thanks to the generic being available my insurance won’t cover the name brand. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!

December 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm
(50) Ellen says:

hi again… i have called Glenmark to complain and spoke to a nice person named Albert Sun Woo. Hi direct line is 201-684-8026, or you can call Glenmark at 201-684-8000. I have also written to the NJ office of the FDA (Glenmark is in NJ):

FDA District Office
New Jersey District (NWJ-DO)
Waterview Corp. Center
10 Waterview Boulevard, 3rd floor
Parisppany, NJ 07054

I also copied the NY Times health editor on my letter to the FDA.

I have been reading more about sodium montelukast, and see that is a poorly soluable drug… so its possible that the active ingredient may be in the generic pills, but they do not dissolve quickly enough for the body to absorb active ingredient before passing through the digestive tract.

Looks like much work is being done to compound sodium montelukast so that it dissolves more quickly. My hope is that in another 3-6 months, there will be competition with the Glenmark generic, and hopefully that drug will work better. I called Merck (they make Singulair) and they would not tell me if they plan to release a generic.

This is the kind of issue where customer complaints are the only way for action to be taken. Thanks… I’m glad to know I’m not alone in this…

December 31, 2012 at 3:20 am
(51) Beth says:

Could the generic have something in it that causes digestive issues? Been reading all the blogs, and no one’s mentioned it. Has anyone else noticed constipation as a side-effect? I take one Zytec at night and one generic Singulair in the morning, same as I have for years before Singulair had a generic. I won’t even go into the Health Insurance issues- I’m just trying to figure out why my stomach is a mess. The frequent sinus migraines are a pain, too, but attributed some of it to Winter colds. My gall bladder was removed in May 2009, but constipation was never a problem before. I’ve been taking the generic Singulair- Glenmark- since the end of October 2012, and my stomach hasn’t been right, since.

January 3, 2013 at 1:18 am
(52) kaylanaima@aol.com says:

I have taken singular for over 10 years and has helped my asthma tremendously, I just took my first generic singular from Mylan last night , and had severe stomach issues today, flu like symptoms , vomiting and diarrhea , sweating but no cold, or flu symptoms . Has anyone else had stomach issues? I have not taken it long enough to see what happens to my actual asthma condition, but after reading all of the other problems I am very concerned. I have very bad asthma and if all these other people are having issues, it just should not be forced on innocent people with breathing problems. I am trying to find out what inactive ingredients are in the generic singular too but no information has been available . We all must report our problems and fight for our right to have medicine that works for us and not have our health jepordized by insurance companies

January 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm
(53) Melanie says:

I have been suffering from severe headaches and have had terrible stomach issues for two months. I just realized that my medicine was switched to generic about the same time that I started having these issues. Anyone else suffering with headaches?

January 5, 2013 at 2:08 am
(54) Barbara says:

I have had a chronic dry, tickling cough ever since I switched to the generic form of Singulair. I had been getting wonderful results from the brand name for several years. After 2 courses of antibiotics and prednisone it occurred to me that the generic might not be working. Now I must start the begging process to the insurance company!

January 5, 2013 at 2:20 am
(55) Barbara says:

I forgot to mention that my cough is accompanied by very thick post nasal drip (can’t really say it’s a drip, more like a molasses flow).

January 12, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(56) Ashlei says:

I picked up my prescription for Singulair and found that I too had been switched over to the generic version. Last year the name brand cost me $12 and I went back and had the pharmacist check and she said that since Singulair now has a generic version my insurance company wanted me to pay $95 for the name brand. I told her forget it, I will call my doctor and have her call it in as DAW. After reading all the comments from those that have started on the generic, I don’t even want to begin taking this and have breathing problems, stomach issues, etc.

January 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(57) Susan says:

I am so glad I found this page ! I Thought I was going nuts! I too ever since starting the generic of Singulair have been miserable with allergy symptoms and asthma.I had been on the name brand of singulair for several years and my allergies and asthma were doing great – only had to use an inhaler if I got sick now I am using it aroung the clock starting a couple of days after starting this generic form.And I still have to sleep sitting up in a chair!I did call Merck and the company that manufactured the generic I am on and made reports.Next step will be a dr.’s appt.A couple of people mentioned headaches.I get migraines but they have been much more frequent can’t say for sure whether it’s caused by the generic or not.

January 15, 2013 at 8:44 pm
(58) Gail says:

I know that I have to start taking Singulair again. I stopped taking it when it went up to a tier of drugs that is so expensive. At the time I didn’t opt for the generic so I have never tried it. My asthma has gotten worse since I quit taking Singulair, and now I’m feeling that the generic drug won’t work anyway. Is there anybody out there (other than one comment by a mom whose child doesn’t seem to have problems with the generic) who IS getting help from the generic brand? Is this something that we again have to wait weeks for it to be absorbed in our system enough to notice that it will begin to work? I am meeting with my doctor next week to talk about all the different meds I am taking and what works and what doesn’t, so I’ll try to get more info on that.

January 18, 2013 at 2:46 pm
(59) Betty says:

I started using the generic in Aug or Sept-Target filled my prescription with the generic without asking. Thought that I would give it a try since the copay was a lot cheaper. Couldn’t figure out why my allergies were so bad in the last several months. Got a sinus infection before Christmas and had to do antibiotics-had not had one since I had been on the regular Singulair. Up half the night because I couldn’t breath because of the nasal congestion even with taking Zyrtec D. Finally put the pieces together that the generic wasn’t working. Back on the regular Singulair and starting to feel much better-post nasal dripping is stopping, stuffiness is subsiding. The generic is useless!!!!!

January 20, 2013 at 11:13 pm
(60) Dorothy says:

Started taking generic Singulair before Thanksgiving (2 months ago) and thought I was experiencing asthma symptoms due to 2 stretches of 60 degree weather. And then it dawned on me. The generic! I, also, rarely use my inhaler except for heavy pollen times, and in the dead of winter, after being on the generic, I am using it constantly! Bad move, insurance companies, by placing Singulair in the exhorbitantly priced arena! Lots of us are gasping for air right now!

January 22, 2013 at 2:11 pm
(61) Dawn says:

Singular has been a lifesaver for me and I am so upset that I cannot get it for less than $160 a month. The generic does not work and I am miserable with allergies once again. It is the only drug I have taken since I was a child that has not stopped working after a year or so, and I have taken many, many. I must have bad insurance because they will not provide it for me with a specific brand name prescription from my doctor. Not even for the price I was paying before a generic was available which was $56 something, not cheap. Thank you Ellen for posting the information. I will be contacting Glenmark and the FDA, and I hope you all do too.

January 23, 2013 at 11:32 am
(62) Jess says:

I commented before about the generic Singulair. I stopped taking the generic and my breathing was better than it was on the generic. My doctor had to call my insurance company and get approval from them. So if anybody is being told that their insurance company won’t pay for the brand name anymore, see if your doctor can call the insurance company and speak to them. HOWEVER, your insurance company will only approve that for a limited amount of time (I’m unsure of whether they will continue after x amount of months if the doctor calls again) so DEFINITELY continue to contact the manufacturer of your generic AND the FDA.

January 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm
(63) Chantal says:

Although I do not have asthma, I have taken Singulair for several years to control severe idiopathic urticaria (hives for unknown reason). I was finally comfortable in my own skin while taking Singulair. I switched to the generic 3 months ago and have had hives every day, getting worse day by day, ever since. I’m hoping can get my doctor to write me a script for “medically necessary” name brand Singulair again before I scratch my skin off! The generic is worthless!!

January 28, 2013 at 2:10 am
(64) frank says:

Have been using a generic for years and they work fine. You are all just being paranoid. Losing sleep over taking the generic….you are just simply worried about it….to no avail.

January 29, 2013 at 12:52 am
(65) Kim j says:

Generics are not the same- the binders and fillers can be different. Upon further investigation I discovered that the Teva Montelukast has sodium lauryl sulfate kn it and the merck singulair does not! Maybe thats why the generic is making my asthma and allergies worse! I can’t breathe on this stuff. I never had any problems on singulair!

January 31, 2013 at 10:58 am
(66) joan says:

Since being on the generic of Singulair I have noticed a big difference. I was on it for itching and since they changed it to the generic form I have started to itch again. Also my Sinuses have started acting up. I don’t like it. It doesn’t work for me.

February 2, 2013 at 6:30 am
(67) Allergy_Mom says:

Hi, so glad to have found this page! Has anyone used a generic singulair from Aurobindo Pharma? I am writing on behalf of my son, who takes singulair, just went to generic a few months ago, and is finding it is NOT working. He is also taking a different med made by this Aurobindo company. He has broken out in a terrible rash and we think it is an allergic reaction, since the timing is right. Now I worry his generic singulair is made by the same company, Aurobindo, based on their photos from drugs.com. I learned their bad manufacturing processes have gotten them 8 (!!) FDA recalls and corrective actions in the past 2 years.

Has anyone had an allergic reaction to a generic singulair?

February 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm
(68) Melanie Smith says:

I am so happy to have come across this thread, for I, too, thought I was going crazy!! I used Singulair for two years and had great results. Then my pharmacy gave me the Teva generic brand and ARGH!!!!! Not only did it do nothing to alleviate my allergy and asthma symptoms, but it produced chest pains that I have not experienced with my asthma in five years!! I am back to being short-winded, and cannot perform at my strenuous job or get a good cardio exercise session in. I saw the last negative comment on the Aurobindo generic. Has anyone else had any results with the Aurobindo?

February 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm
(69) Jess says:

My son (age 6) has been taking Singulair for 4 years. He has been taking the generic form for about 2-3 months now. Since then he has started getting migraines. They are now coming 2-3 times a week. I was wondering if anyone else had any similar results. Nothing else in his meds, diet, life has changed except switching to the generic. The one he gets is from Mylan.

February 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm
(70) quiddity says:

I just went through trying to get my Singular generic equivalent and was wise to check the insert before purchasing it. The brand they were going to give me has sodium lauryl sulfate, the stuff they are starting to remove from cosmetics and shampoos. I have severe reactions to the stuff (if it is in a shampoo, I break out in rash and itchiness. So check the ingredients! I had the trouble with BP meds and the same manufacturer and my heart rate raced, I had asthma and other reactions.

February 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
(71) mdaneker says:

(64) Frank:
You are obviously full of **** since the Generic was just approved in early 2012, you couldn’t have taken it for years, it hasn’t been available for a full year yet.

Troll.

February 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(72) Robin says:

I have been taking the generic singular for 3 weeks. I have been experiencing severe migraines, lack of focus, nausea, constant asthma attaches, and uncontrollable allergies. I had all of these under control with the singular. It was the key to my asthma attacks that I had suffered for years. After taking it for only a month, it completely had them under control. Now I am suffering to the point I can’t get out of bed.

I will call my doctor in the morning to get an override and Merck to file an official complaint. Thanks for the number (1-800-444-2080). Also file your complaints to: COPY THIS LINK

I hope others follow, otherwise we will never get Singular back. Post complaint to your social media pages to alert others on how to fight this generic.

Robin

February 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm
(73) RW says:

I ‘ve been taking generic Singulair for 2 weeks and my asthma has worsened. I’ve had to use my rescue inhaler more than I’ve ever had to as well as coughing up phlegm. Generally speaking, I feel this product is NOT anything like the original Singulair and I am going to see my Dr. soon about replacing it with the regular prescription.

February 28, 2013 at 12:34 pm
(74) CA says:

Have been taking brand Singulair for 6 years. Totally effective drug for my asthma and other allergies. Insurance company started balking at paying for brand Singulair and the cost was going to be astronomical so I thought I would give the generic brand (Mylan) a try. Bad move. Within 2 days I was hitting my rescue inhaler, using nasal spray, nasal washes, eye drops, eye washes, to no avail. Additionally on Mylan generic I had almost immediate headaches, nausea, really bad heartburn. I finally battled it out with my insurance company and they did an over-ride and I am getting brand Singulair again and felt fine within 3 days, no more inhaler etc. What a disaster with the generic. This was so scary.

March 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm
(75) Diane says:

This generic is horrible. I’ve got tons of allergies, food, seasonal, etc and asthma to boot! Singular was a new life for me. I had very few asthma issues while on the singular. They switched me to generic and November had a bad cold, December, pneumonia, January the flu! Good Lord, this medication doesn’t work. Two appeals later my insurance still won’t pay for it but rather they have tacked on a surcharge for not using the generic. Individual health care for all! Ha! It will now cost me over $400.00 for a medication that will keep me out of the hospital, and living my life!

March 17, 2013 at 10:44 pm
(76) Frank Panico says:

I went from brand Singulair to Montelucast manufactured by Apotex (a square pill, like Merck’s Singulair). It worked very well. In fact I felt normal. As soon as I switched to Montelucast manufactured by Glenmark, I started to go downhill. In only 2 days, my breathing got worse and I had to resort to my rescue inhaler. Tonight I took the Apotex Montelast about 4 hours after I took the Glenmark. It’s been 1/2 hour and I am starting to feel better already. Stay tuned….I will give you an update tomorrow. A piece of advice….if you switch to a generic, save at least one week’s supply of the brand that works so if you have a problem, you have the pills to make a quick switchback. Keep well. Frank

March 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(77) cshaw says:

Can Merck suggest ——– now what is the best alternate pills brand for this ??????

April 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm
(78) Patty says:

I am miserable with the generic Singulair, I’ve been taking it since October and I definitely noticed the difference with my breathing but it wasn’t horrible. Now its Spring and I had what I thought was a Sinus Infection at the beginning of March that lasted 2 weeks and now its April and the cold/Sinus Infection is back. I’ve sneezed about 100 times today, my nose is raw and I’m so congested. Its starting to feel like I used to feel 12 years ago before I discovered the miracle pill “Singulair”. On the phone with insurance and allergist now and hoping they give me back the name brand..I can’t breathe, sleep and I can’t stop sneezing!!!

April 4, 2013 at 8:46 pm
(79) Dorothy says:

I wrote comment # 60 when there were 48 comments on the thread. I started breathing better by day 6 once I restarted taking my Singulair. I received a 90 day supply (at a much higher price), and when my mail order pharmacy called to have my Singulair refilled, I said YES. Guess what? They sent the generic crud–and charged me for it! I just got off the phone with the insurance co. where I had to speak with 3 different people–first the counselor, then the pharmacist, and last the supervisor–and have learned that despite the ease of the automated refill, I will have to be proactive each time to make sure my doctor specifies the name brand Singulair or they will automatically send the generic and charge it to my credit card. Well, being a squeaky wheel (and a ticked off wheel at that!) worked, so by the time I got to the supervisor, they removed the charge for the generic. Now to call the doctor again!

Sorry about the long-winded story, but a fortress is being built around access to Singulair! Just be prepared to stand your ground!

April 5, 2013 at 10:21 am
(80) Jerry says:

I have had serious asthma all of my life, hospitalized many times, and with the need for steroids (prednisone) to save my life. I am 65 now but when Singular became available over a decade ago, like magic, I was essentially cured. Of course, I still have asthma but the need for steroids disappeared, and almost no need for my rescue inhaler which I still carry with me as my security blanket. I was in wonderful health for many years until about 6 months ago, when I began getting the made in India Glenmark generic montelukast (singulair equivalent) and have been going down hill ever since. All the previous problems returned. Last night I had yet another asthma attack, went on steroids and found this website. OMG so many people are having terrible problems and I may be one more. So I drove to my Drs. office today got a prescription for brand name and started taking the Merck Singulair today. I will write back to give all here an update to see if my experiment works. THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SWITCHED BACK; ARE YOU GETTING BETTER?

April 9, 2013 at 10:15 am
(81) how to get a free ipod touch says:

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this post and
if I may just I wish to counsel you few interesting
things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring
to this article. I desire to learn more issues about it!

April 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm
(82) Donna says:

The Glenmark generic worked fine for me, but CVS stuck me with a 90 day supply of Teva brand and it does not work at all.

April 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm
(83) Diana{TN} says:

Oh Geeze So glad I found this link..Thought for sure I was either getting much worse or had lost my mind..I have really bad allergies I recieve shots ..I had been getting them every other week..for a long time asthma since childhood untreated for years until after a few bad attacks..a few months back I switched to the generic Singulair..thinking Oh good I can save some money,..NOT..it was winter so I was in Winter mode..(lazy) I thought the increase in the wheezing and tightness in the chest was due to the heat being on…dust etc…its not like I woke up the next morning being unable to breathe mine was a steady downward spiral..After a couple of weeks started waking up in the middle of the night..something was really doing a number on my sleep..so I thought ,…oh I ate to late ..but then at night I sit there and the tightness seemed to get worse ..thought I have gerd …so started taking prilosec…it wasn’t helping..I have a big learning curve…so it takes me awhile I have been on this med for months ..I have no breath I find it hard to climb the stairs I wheeze cough ..the mucus is terrible..then I thought well its either the generic bites or I’m getting worse and the next step is an oxygen tank…So I went to see my doc now I’m sitting here with no meds while the insurance company and pharmacy fight it out…I hope I live top see the results…THESE people need to quit making fake drugs..They are going to kill one of us…

April 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm
(84) Anne says:

I have been on Singulair for over 10 years. It was a miracle drug that kept my allergies and asthma under control. I felt so much better than the previous 25years. Since last September, I was switched to the generic form. All my previous symptoms had return, and I was feeling miserable.
The doctor from my HMO tried to convince me that they are the same
drug even though I told him that I didn’t feel the same. I even mailed him the complaints from different patients I got from various website to no
avail. I finally decided to pay out of pocket for the brand name form.

April 20, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(85) Bonnie says:

Like others, I have taken Singulair for years for asthma but immediately noticed that my outbreaks of hives and other mysterious itching, headaches and stomach upsets improved dramatically. I was switched to Gkenmark’s generic version last fall and i just found out I have been taking a recalled batch since January. I had a 90 day supply. The lot was recalled in March but my pharmacy did not contact me. The pills smell very musty. I have had infection after infection, my asthma is out of control and I have felt horrible all winter. I have contacted Merck, will write to te FDA and plan on visiting my doctor on Monday to try and get a DAW. Another friend’s doctor wouldn’t even let him take the generic version. That says a lot. Keep after this people. We can make a difference.

April 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm
(86) previous.delicious.com says:

You’ve gotten one of the greatest web-sites.

April 27, 2013 at 12:05 am
(87) vijay says:

Is there any one who can give me the batch no. and photograph of bottom of bottle for Montelukast sodium 10mg. 30 tablets and 90 tablets bottles manufactured by Glenmark Generics Ltd……… It will help me alot. I will be very much thankful. my email id vijay.shriji@gmail.com

April 29, 2013 at 8:59 am
(88) Pete says:

I just got a 90 Day Supply of Generic Singulair MFG by Teva Pharmaceuticals a few days ago, been on them for about 6 days, and do notice some differences, like they wear off faster, usually I take them at night, now I’ve switched to mornings around 7am, they kick in around 9 or so. I strictly take them for severe grass, pollen, and dust allergies, and sports related asthma. I’m not nearly as happy with them as the Merck Singulair, which I have 4 left just in case I need one. Will update if any major changes occur, but no bad side effects to report, only that the effect of them is not as good as the Merck Stuff.

April 30, 2013 at 5:55 am
(89) El Nino says:

The comment section reminds me of the power of the nocebo effect. It’s a molecule in an instant release tablet. It can’t be made any better at one factory over another. The generic is going to work just as well as the brand. It’s made by freaking Teva, a huge, reputable, international pharmaceutics company. Not Jim-Bob’s Backwoods Drug Factory. Crazy people out there imagining all sorts of nonsense.

I just started on the generic…it works wonders for me. I’m glad I never took the brand and got noceboed into thinking the same thing made in a different factory measured by machines that are accurate to nanograms magically doesn’t work as well.

The internet is hilarious.

April 30, 2013 at 5:58 am
(90) El Nino says:
April 30, 2013 at 12:57 pm
(91) Jerry says:

I was post #80. I am now back on Merck Singular for about 25 days. I feel wonderful again. The experiment worked. In my case at least, it is now absolutely clear that the Glenmark generic was worthless. I am grateful to this website for saving me. Those of you not responding to generics need to get back on brand ASAP and do the experiment for yourselves. Yes, the cost is higher but is it worth suffering to save money?

May 4, 2013 at 2:54 pm
(92) Mike says:

I have been almost asthma-free as a result of taking the brand name Singulair for over 10 years. I started taking the generic from TEVA USA and my symptoms have returned. I have not felt this bad since I was a child, when these new asthma medications were not available. I was diagnosed with asthma 40 years ago, and ended up in the emergency room several times as a young man. Singulair changed this, and it was the only medication that nearly abated my symptoms completely. Now I feel as though I am starting over.

I just got a two week supply of the brand-name Singulair from my pharmacy at a cost of $100 because it was too early to refill the prescription. I am already feeling better.

This is disgraceful. I just lodged a complaint about the generic with the FDA. I urge you to do so as well if you are experiencing the same issues. Perhaps we can get this generic pulled if they hear enough complaints.

May 9, 2013 at 1:48 am
(93) Helena says:

Dear All,
i have a almost 7 year old daughter that is taking Singulair without a break since she is 13 months old.
since last year our medical insurance forwarded everyone to the generic medication.
i gave it a try and today i say it was irresponsible.
the generic didnt work at all and we have been to hospital because it didnt help preventing the asthma attacks.
she is taking also inhalation Flixotide since she was 13 months old.
not everybody can use generic.
in person i dont believe so much in generics anymore.
even if there is a slight change in the medication it doesnt work for all…

May 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(94) Pete says:

Update….I was post #80. Started taking Generic Teva Brand about 3 weeks ago, and I’m sad to report my sneezing, and allergies are in full bloom once again. It does work for a few hours, I switched to taking it in the morning around 7am instead of at night, keeps me okay for about 6-8 hours then it wears off and I’m back to sneezing and runny nose again. I think I’m just going to try Allegra or Zyrtec, if your like me and taking these just for allergies, then it may be worth a shot to try Over the counter stuff, rather then waste money and argue with insurance just to get the Magical Singulair. To all those people that must have Singulair for other ailments, I wish you luck in your fight bringing the Merck Singulair back. I have one real Singulair pill left….saving it for that really rough day.

May 18, 2013 at 10:58 pm
(95) Kathye says:

I have been on Singulair for 7 years for my asthma. I was switched to generic in November. All of my symptoms returned. I saw my doctor on Monday and placed on Predinisone. Until I saw this site I did not think about the generic. I went to Target and the pharmacist called my insurance company and got the override and I was given brand Singulair and the change was immediate. I plan on calling my doctor on Monday and reporting to the FDA. mine were made by Dr. Reddy and Qualitest. This is terrible. I have never has a problem with a generic in the past but I am definitely not alone on this one. So glad I found this site!

May 20, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(96) Kathye says:

Just found out that Brand Singulair is no longer being manufactured. Calling my doctor today to see where to go from here. I have reported the bad side effects to the FDA.

May 28, 2013 at 11:00 am
(97) Monica says:

I too have taken Singulair and found it extremely effective. My insurance company removed Singulair form its formulary and I had to try the generic Montelukast. It does not work as completely in shrinking back the stuffy feeling in the nasal membranes, I sneeze more and have a runny nose. It never really works completely. I am very unhappy with the generic and have decided to pay the higher co-pay to get the relief that Singulair provides. Singulair works quickly and fully, in marked contrast to the generic.

May 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm
(98) Susan says:

Miracle drug for me. Inhaler never really helped me. Breathing used to be difficult w/ exercise but gradually became worse with just everyday living. When I inhale now I feel it all the way down. Had not felt that way in years. Dr. a bit worried about one particular side effect. I have been on it now for 6 months a no side effects other than dreaming is a bit more involved. Don’t know what I would do without this drug. Sleep no longer disturbed because of breathing issues that would wake me up.

June 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm
(99) jess says:

Just a quick correction to Kathye’s comment: Singulair is still being manufactured. I know because I’m still on it.

As for El Nino, I know you’re just a troll but I don’t want you to discourage other people on here. The formula is actually different for each company so it’s not the same medication. The only thing that stays the same is/are the active ingredient(s). Each company puts it together a different way. Some of the ways aren’t always effective which is what appears to be happening here. Trust me, if the generic brand I received worked, I would happily be using it. Sadly, I’m better off not taking anything than the generic and I’m even better off taking brand name Singulair than nothing. Asthma sufferers can be very sensitive to medication. It can take years and years (for me more than 20 years) to come up with the right combination of medications and their dosages that effectively keeps us going without having breathing problems. To have gone through all of that and then have the insurance companies force us to use medication that doesn’t work seriously hurts us and it’s not us being crazy. This is something we need to continue to speak up about.

June 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm
(100) Leigh says:

I wanted to let everyone know I found out the generic I have been taking was recalled. The information is at: http://us.glenmark-generics.com/announcement-room-details.aspx?id=MQ==

I have been having sinus headaches/pressure from the generic version and have been miserable. Needless to say, I am outraged I have been taking a recalled medicine. I suspect the bad ingredient in the generic, not seasonal allergies, may be causing my headaches. I am no longer going to take it.

I am complaining to my pharmacy, the Glenmark manufacturer, and the FDA. I am currently battling my insurance company to get Singulair at an affordable price, even though my doctor has written a “do not substitute” prescription.

Thank you everyone for your comments that alerted me to possible problems with the generic.

June 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm
(101) Kathye says:

Still unable to get brand Singulair. Told by every pharmacy that the brand is no longer manufactured. I don’t know if the pharmacies (Walgreen, Target and CVS) are not getting it but I am unable to get the brand name in Texas.

June 12, 2013 at 11:55 am
(102) r bullard says:

WARNING DO NOT TAKE MONTELUKAST. I live in Iowa and started taking this generic drug because of the cost. Since taking it now for about 3 months I have been so sick. I feel like a fish out of water. I can’t breath and I have had asthma attacks that just won’t stop.The fatigue is horrible. My whole body hurts. My mom landed in the hospital with multiple side effects. My best friends wife landed in the hospital too. All three of us have complained about the same problems while taking this drug. STAY AWAY FROM IT> IT SHOULD BE BANNED!! DOESN”T WORK! We switched back and all the problems are going away. I had been on singulair for many years now and haven’t had an asthma attack . While taking the Montelukast I have had so many asthma attacks I can’t count anymore. HORRIBLE DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 12, 2013 at 4:56 pm
(103) Kathye says:

My doctor has written a dispense as written brand only to a pharmacy that tells me they can get brand Singulair. They gave me 3 pills they had in stock today and after taking just one I am feeling better. The brand is supposed to be here tomorrow. I am feeling a little nervous since about a month ago I went to my Target Pharmacy and the pharmacist gave the last three pills she had and then on the following Monday was told by her distributor that it was no longer being made. I now believe that this distributor did not want to carry the brand Singuilair and just carry the generic. When I called CVS this morning the pharmacist there did tell me she could get it for me if the physician wrote the prescription Brand dispense as written. Hopefully I can really get a full prescription again. This generic is dangerous.

June 20, 2013 at 8:58 pm
(104) Eileen says:

Why do people call Merck regarding products that are NOT manufactured by them? If you have a problem with a generic product it’s important to call the FDA and maybe the manufacturing company as well. I don’t see the purpose of contacting Merck about this.

June 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(105) Michelle says:

For those of you who think Teva is such a great company and that generics and name brands are the same, you need to read this Forbes article about Teva’s generic not working: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidmaris/2012/10/10/fda-recall-points-to-serious-problems-at-the-fda/

I sure hope we get name brand singulair back. We shouldn’t have to suffer like this.

July 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(106) Kathye says:

Been back on Singulair for a month now and everything is working again. I have filed a report with the FDA but there has to be more reports to get their attention. Please if you haven’t already file a complaint with the FDA today.

July 31, 2013 at 7:10 am
(107) Sue says:

Thanks for the validation — I’m not the only one! I’ve taken Singulair for about 12 years for asthma and allergies, and it has been completely effective for me! In all this time, I have only used my albuterol inhaler preventatively with aerobic exercise and exposure to major allergens eg. being around cats. When the generic came out, my pharmacy supplied it, and I tried it but within a week, my old asthma symptoms came back. There was no way I could do my regular aerobic routine, and even talking all day which I do for work was impossible. I called my doctor and talked to the pharmacist, and they got me back on Singulair again, but with a $50 monthly copay instead of my $20. OK, $1/day for dependable health is ok w/ me. Now I have a new job & Group Health Alliant, and 1) I had to change pharmacies and 2) they quoted me a $160-something charge per month for my “dispense as written” Singulair. I had kept the old generic Rx (Montelukast Sodium 10 mg – Sz 344 – round) . i I figured I’d take it for a few days and see how I do, and now I’m back to asthma symptoms again. Plus, I’ve been using a cPap machine for the past few years, and with the congestion and breathing issues back — I can’t sleep with the cPap and I was up at 3 am. I want my Singulair back !!

August 11, 2013 at 4:31 am
(108) import export solution says:

Greetings I am so grateful I found your
blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on
Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like
to say many thanks for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don_t have time to look over
it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS
feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do
keep up the superb b.

August 13, 2013 at 11:27 pm
(109) Sara says:

I’ve been taking singulair for awhile now and it has worked wonders for my allergies. The other day I got my script refilled and noticed a little sticker saying the color and shape had changed but it was still the same. After taking it for a couple days my allergies have been worse then when I missed a dose. After comparing bottles I noticed they where from different manufacturers. I asked my doctor about it and they ran some tests. I found out I am allergic to the dye that the one company uses in the drug.

August 19, 2013 at 5:28 pm
(110) Virginia Klaas says:

I am a medical doctor who has been on Singulair for 17 yrs. Singulair changed my life. I used to need a rescue inhaler 4-6 times every night and several times in the day. Singulair allowed me to lead a regular life. I was at first delighted when Sinfulair went generic as the generic was much cheaper. Unfortunately, as many above has mentioned it did not always work. Please note which generic manufacturer you get the generic from. Mylan seemed ok, with some break through wheezing…Roxane was terrible! I was having to use albureral 8-10 times a day, as well as advair…which I only occasionally needed before. I developed pleuritic chest pain. When I tried to get brand name Singulair, I had the same problem..they require me to pay the difference in price between the generic price and singulair as well as the co-pay (Regence) This means a drug that I got for $105 for 90 days a year ago, they were now asking for $465.02! Its obsured! Its medically dangerous with a labile disease like asthma. Problem is the pharmacy changes which generic they carry very frequently…and they only carry one at a time (in most cases). So you are stuck with this moving target.
I was sent three different companies drug) over the past year. Just about each time I refill..its different. Please watch your generic company….keep a chart!. Send in complaints to your insurance company and the manufacturers. We need to all stick together.

August 23, 2013 at 9:25 am
(111) Jerry says:

I have posted twice earlier. The Glenmark generic was my downfall. Been back on brand Singular and have been fine now for nearly 5 months. I’m just writing to reinforce the need for all of us to register a complaint with the FDA. It doesn’t take long to fill out the form and it does make an impact. FDA does inform the generic manufacturer of a problem and I am assuming they are keeping records and hopefully a watchful eye. Indeed, after I complained to the FDA, a rep from Glenmark did contact me but only asked what other meds I was taking. Please barrage the FDA with complaints, switch back to brand Singular and at a minimum it will give Merck incentive to continue manufacturing Singulair. I fear that lack of demand might force the company to discontinue Singulair production and that would be very bad.

August 26, 2013 at 2:48 am
(112) sick all the time says:

The generic singular formula is ineffective and I did appeal for the insurance co-pay. Still waiting for the response. Glenmark Pharma had an issue this past spring with moldy smelly bottles and they didn’t recall them at the retail level. They state the formula was still effective. I have an allergy to mold, which promotes asthma. Time for a lawsuit.

August 26, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(113) Virginia says:

Please post your experience with specific manufacturers here.
I have now tried 4 of the generics. I had better response with Aurobindo and Apotex….(seemed to work better)
I had severe wheezing with Roxane. And from the above Glenmark seems to be a problem.
I called 5 pharmacies…each had a different form of the generic.
Roxane has filed a report with FDA due to my complaint…and has asked me to send back the rest of what I had for testing.
Putting a complaint in writing is much better than on the phone…I am afraid if you only use the phone..the complaint is gone as soon as you hang up. If its in writing.. it cant easily be ignored.
Check which generic your pharmacy has in stock…before you refill. They switch often, and usually only carry one generic at a time.
Appeal to your insurance company.
Call Merck (makes Singulair). They will take your complaint and get it to the manufacturer who makes the generic.

August 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm
(114) G says:

I have spoken with three reps at Merck.
They say that once a generic is released, they can in no way promote that their name brand is better than the generic…because FDA has said they are “equivalent” (which we know is not true). In any case I am told that if Merck trys to say the name brand is better, they would find themselves in a legal battle with the FDA.
Mercks approach is to completely pull back …from any advertisement.
Stop giving any samples to doctors
Discontinue any coupon discouts or financial aid for patients.
They have no plans to come out with an ‘AUTHORIZED’ generic (ie one made by Merck (so essentially the same as singulair with a different stamp). They will continue to make brand name singulair…and sell it at the regular price (which seems to be about $165 for 30 days). Despite their joint venture with two companies in Brazil that make generic drugs….they have no plans to market a generic for singulair in the USA. The joint venture reportedly is only for Brazil.
So…I agree…need to file complaints with FDA…and also consider filing another form which states the benefits of the name brand. FDA needs to hear that the name brand works….generics (specific manufacterer) does not. If someone ends up in the emergency room or hospital..the FDA needs to hear this!

I am told that what ususally happens is when a generic comes out, there are usually 10-15 different companies…within a couple of years , this usually pairs down to about 6-8 companies…the others are pulled or the company stops making them.

September 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm
(115) LH says:

I have been on Singulair for 7 years. No problems. Started the generic by Teva in December. No problems. Started the generic by Glenmark five days ago and I’ve had a constant headache. It’s a noticeable difference because I don’t get headaches ever. Anyone else noticing headaches from the Glenmark version of this drug?

September 29, 2013 at 3:40 am
(116) Tina says:

Over the past 10 years my allergist has prescribed Singular for treatment of Asthma flair-ups. I am fortunate that my asthma symptoms are not constant. After a recent increase in asthma symptoms I was again prescribed Singular, but received the generic Montelukast Sodium tablets 10mg from Roxanne Labs. About day 10 I noticed a small area of itching on one forearm and just thought I had an insect bite……I was wrong. Within a day the underside of my arm clearly had hives, next day the other arm was involved and there are small patches of hives at my knees. The Montelukast is the only new medication I was taking and have d/c as soon as the hives became obvious. The itching is the worst part. Like many others I would prefer to have the real thing…Singular.

October 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm
(117) Kathye says:

I have posted earlier. Have been back on brand Singulair and doing great. Unfortunately my insurance company has increased the price from $30 to $40 and this month to $168 for a 30 day supply. That’s right an increase of 400′%. I tried the generic again and all symptoms of my asthma returned. I am retired and it is quite a burden financially. I have called the University benefit office to complain but no answer from them or Express Scripts yet. This is the only generic I have a problem with. If I cannot get resolved I will be forced to go back to my doctor and see where we go from here. Very frustrating.

October 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(118) Christine says:

I actually had a better reaction to Glenmark’s version than I did the brand name. I had been on Singular for 3 years, and my asthma/allergies were reasonably controlled – only needed rescue inhaler about 1-2 times a week. Then I was on Glenmark’s montelukast sodium tablets since Feb of 2012, and it worked perfectly for me. I carried the inhaler to the gym, but rarely needed it. Then, end of last month, my prescription refill company sent me Dr. Reddy’s version. My lungs started getting tight at the gym early this month, and today, with no exercise at all, my lungs are feeling tight. My doc is going to write a prescription for the Glenmark version. I understand drugs work differently for different people, and it stinks that the only way to find out if a version works is to try it. But for anyone worried about trying the generic based on someone else’s response, remember that not everyone reacts the same to every drug. For some people, only the brand name will work for them. For others, only the generic, (or in my case, only one version of the generic) will work the best.

December 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm
(119) Mary ?. says:

Wonderful to find theses comments. I was put on the square generic singulair when it came out last year at Target. Had some minimal asthma problems but not horrible. They switched to a brown round pill, which from the comments appears to be the Glenmark version. I have been out of breath for months now. Can’t even go down the stairs and have had to use my rescue inhaler constantly (which I had’t used in years). My last refill was from 2011 from my emergency stash. I also have had to go on prednisone as the other option was the ER. It only occurred to me last night that the generic was my problem. The FDA really needs to do something. I sent them an email but can someone direct me to the page where I can fill out the formal complaint form. Thx

December 6, 2013 at 2:08 pm
(120) Susan says:

I too took brand name Singulair for years and found the drug to be an incredible help in managing my asthma and esophageal allergy problems. For the last year I have instead taken a generic which worked equally as well. However, two months ago the manufacturer of the generic drug used by my pharmacy changed and the difference has been terrible. I thought it was all in my head until I read these posts. I’m glad to know it isn’t my condition that’s worsening, but the generic medication that is failing. I will go back to brand name only — I can’t take chances with being able to breath and swallow. The extra cost is worth it!!

December 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(121) Tricia says:

My sister and I have both taken the brand name Singulair it dried up all the nasty stuff in our noses throat and ears. The generic on the other hand makes our sinuses run and run to the point of a sore throat etc . NOT THE SAME AT ALL. IT’s QUITE THE OPPOSITE!
One of my sisters doctors told her something like the generic only had to be 15% of the brand drug to be approved. not sure don’t have any facts but interesting!

December 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(122) sal says:

Generic singulair does not work. Been taking for years then generic and coughed for a month. This needs to be against the law.

December 16, 2013 at 12:25 am
(123) CA says:

My mail order pharmacy sent me Dr. Reddy’s generic the last time I refilled, and I can longer breathe. The stuff just doesn’t work for me; it’s like not taking any medication. My asthma a fairly severe, and on top of it all, I’m a professional wind musician. The last fill they sent was a different generic company and it was fine, but Dr. Reddy’s is for the birds. Tomorrow I’ll be making calls to both the pharmacy and my doctor; afraid I’m going to have to pay for name brand Singular. In the past, the pharmacy has told me that they just carry whatever generic they get the cheapest. If it’s Dr. Reddy’s it’s junk.

December 17, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(124) Donna says:

I have been on Singulair for approx. 22 yrs and it has saved my life. Before singulair I was always in the ER with an asthma attack. When the generic first came out I did not think anything of it…I was given the round generic pill and from the start it seemed to make me very sick to my stomach, this went on for a month or so and I called my pharmacist who said there is no way that pill is causing you stomach issues. So I was blown off as usual. Anyway sorry to start venting there…a few months later I refill my singulair and this time I get a square generic made by Dr. Reddy’s Lab and I start taking them. I have always dealt with Eczema on my ankle it has been there on and off for yrs but for some reason I start getting it everywhere, on my face, hands, arms and neck. I call my doctor for steroid cream which always works. I am getting sick to my stomach all the time and just at my end with all this. THEN today I realize I had not taken my singulair so I grab and take it, I kid you not within 30 minutes I am digging at my arms, the palms of my hands are feeling very hot and itching soo bad I am using a comb to scratch. I am going crazy then I think WOW It must be the generic singulair that I just took, could it be that all along this new pill had been doing this to me and I thought it was just a MAJOR outbreak of Eczema. I call the pharmacist, thankfully a different one on duty this time and he says do NOT take another of those pills and call your doctor to get a brand name prescription called in for it. He also said that the generic can do this and with each pill it can make the reaction get so bad my throat could swell due to the allergy to something in the pill. I will also say I have been to the doctor due to my asthma getting so much worse over the past 6 months and my 22 yrs old son who is also on it has been recently put on another inhaler for worsening asthma. So I am now seeing that all along Its been the new generic crap they give us.

January 2, 2014 at 10:13 am
(125) S Miller says:

I recently was forced to accept to generic for Singulair and the first dose gave me stomach issues…the second dose made me throw up and then I got a rash on my face and neck…very itchy. I first thought it was a virus but a virus would go away…every night I take the pill, I wake up with the rash that last all day and drives me crazy. It has to be the pill. I did not take it last night and the rash is better. It has to be the generic..I have taken Singulair for many years and had no trouble until my last generic refill. I checked the box not to have the generic but they sent it anyway. I costs half as much as the brand name. Sad what is happening in health care…it really is no care at all as far as the patient goes….we are treated with a one size approach and “tough” if it doesn’t work!!!!!

January 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm
(126) RN and asthma sufferer says:

Please read since not all generics are the same!!!
I have had precisely the same experience as so many here. I fully trusted the generic from the mail order company to work just fine and keep my allergies and asthma under control as Singulair from my pharnacy had done. However, I started having severe coughing and allergic reactions and realized that the timing of my worsening symptoms was about right around the time when I switched which generic I was getting. My pharmacy uses Apotex generic for Singulair which worked VERY WELL for me! However, the meds by mail company, Express Scripts uses Dr. Reddy’s generic which DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. I would be better off taking nothing. I honestly wish I could have these meds analyzed—–I truly feel like there is no active ingredient in these pills. I suppose logically that it is something due to the other ingredients which makes Dr. Reddy generics work so poorly for me.

January 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm
(127) Ginny says:

Agree, Apotex works well for me. It is carried by Sams Club.
Three other generics just did not work for me….start to chart which generic you are using…and which works.
Then stick with that pharmacy…check before you refill to be sure they have not switched.
The frustrating thing was I had called 7 different pharmacies…they each had a different generic!

February 2, 2014 at 12:15 am
(128) Luis says:

I was diagnosed with mild emphysema and my pulmonarist prescribed advair on my first visit and on my second visit he prescribed generic singulair in addition to my advair, as soon as took my generic singulair I developed hives and itched all over my body. I ended up at the emergency room and they took care of my problem. I am afraid to take the generic singulair now. My doctor told me that singular is what I need to take for my emphysema.

February 4, 2014 at 7:28 pm
(129) Angel says:

Thank u all SO MUCH for the comments on this page!!! I knew I did not feel right the last 2 weeks, and I had been taking the TEVA generic version of Singulair for those 2 weeks. I feel lucky that I found this site and that I didn’t take my whole Teva supply before I realised! This is absolutely not acceptable to have people suffer like this. I will be ringing first thing in the morning to get my normal Singulair prescription from my doctor. The last few days have been terrible especially for me, sneezing, coughing, blocked nose, sinus pain, and then when my lungs started to feel like they were shutting down I thought I was dying! Then it dawned on me about the generic brand I had been taking. Anyway, thank u all so much, hope I can breathe tonight until I get my proper Singulair back. Good luck and try some Chamomile tea if you are really struggling to breathe, it helps me a lot xxx

February 16, 2014 at 2:44 pm
(130) Sara says:

I have taken Singular for several years. It was prescribed by my pulmonologist along with Advair to control my asthma. I have been free of all asthma symptoms for years. Now singular comes in a generic form and I have been on it for 16 days and while I am not experiencing symptoms of asthma, I am itching periodiacally through the night and day. An example: I awakened yesterday and both shoulders had marks where I had been scratching. This morning, it was the inside of my hands. The itching has been felt all over my body. My energy level seems be have changed, as well. I am miserable. I just wondered if anyone else experienced this reaction. The bad thing is that I am away from my pharmacy for another 25 days.

March 13, 2014 at 1:51 pm
(131) Bonnie says:

I have tried two different brands of generic singulair and both times ended up with severe asthma attacks plus headaches and mysterious out breaks of itching and rash. I also had a sinus infection and broncitus. My doctor went to bat for me and I now can get the real deal but at $55 for 30 pills…and it is worth every penny. There should be more investigation into why the generic doesn’t work. The formulas couldn’t be the same!!!

March 18, 2014 at 7:28 am
(132) Gabrielle says:

Glad I found this forum! Was given monte air generic of singulair and severe asthma 5 days into using it. This is not a condition that should be messed with and companies need to look I to their generic brands and why they are not working….. It’s not acceptable