1. Health
Daniel More, MD

Dymista Combines Flonase and Astelin

By October 7, 2012

Dymista, an allergy nasal spray combining the active medications from Flonase and Astelin, has recently become available for the treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis in adults and children 12 years of age and older. This unique medication contains both a corticosteroid and an antihistamine, which work differently to treat allergic rhinitis symptoms. Allergists have known for many years that the combinationof these medications works better than either one alone, and so both medications have been prescribed separately for people in the past. Combining these two medications into one nasal spray certainly makes treatment more convenient -- although it is questionable whether the added cost (Dymista is a brand-name medication while its individual components are available in generic form) is worth it.

Read more:

Comments
October 23, 2012 at 9:19 am
(1) www.Rearwindowdecals.org says:

Your means of explaining the whole thing in this paragraph is genuinely good, all be able to effortlessly be aware
of it, Thanks a lot.

November 27, 2012 at 9:33 am
(2) Charles Reeves Jr says:

My allergist gave me a sample of Dymista, while telling me it is really expensive. She didn’t address whether there is any benefit to using it over administrating the medications separately. I can’t imagine there would be, and would be surprised if insurance, in particular Medicare, would pay for it.

December 4, 2012 at 11:38 am
(3) Jay says:

go to Dymista.com and get a discount card – you won’t pay more than $35

December 12, 2012 at 9:23 am
(4) nova says:

I got the trial size dymista from my allergist. It has finally reduced my post nasal drip by 75% now. But Dymista is not covered by my insurance, cost $176 to me. But i registered for the coupon and got it for $35 from the pharmacy.

December 22, 2012 at 7:08 pm
(5) keith says:

My allergist gave me a prescription for this too. Of course Blue Cross would not approve it without two long forms being being filled out by the allergist. This $35 coupon looks like it is good for only 12 prescriptions? Then they think I am going to pay $168 a month for this??

What are the alternatives to Dymista? Are they just as effective? Cost?

January 8, 2013 at 2:09 pm
(6) Debbie says:

Not sure why my doctor gave me this spray.
I am coughing and have a lot of mucus with it.
I do take allergy meds and inhaler, Alvesco .
Does anyone know if this will help with coughing?

January 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm
(7) Carol Richards says:

Coupon for $35 it’s void is you have medicare, or other “gov funded” rx coverage! HELLO, did I not pay into medicare? so disgusted with the bureaucracy!

March 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm
(8) JJ says:

I have private insurance and even after taking 20 minutes to activate the card I was still refused the $35. With my lifewise insurance it was $176. Umm, I don’t think so! I’ll go back to Flonase and Astelin or just plain Astelin.

March 25, 2013 at 11:26 pm
(9) Jennie says:

After having a lung infection and related breathing problems for 9 months I was given Dymista as a sample. For the first time in 9 months, I’ve been able to breathe and have gone a week now without coughing up green mucous. I’d forgotten what it was like to breathe normally. However, I’m discouraged that the company is willing to pay for assistance for people that have insurance but won’t help cash pay patients.

*WHY* is it that Meda Pharmaceuticals will cover $100 per month for those with insurance (when insurance pays nothing) and won’t offer the sane benefits to cash pay customers. I’m sure they are getting a tax break at our expense too.

Is our $35 not as good as the insured? Quite frankly, I spend thousands on prescriptions each year, probably more than some of these that have insurance. My money isn’t as good?

This isn’t right.

April 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm
(10) Janae says:

I was also denied the $35 even after activating the card. It cost me $50 with Blue Cross.

What’s the scoop?

June 1, 2013 at 10:44 am
(11) Angelica says:

I just started taking this med and did a bit of research on prices. Would you believe Dymista is manufactured by Cipla in INDIA. Alldaychemist sells Duonase(which is also fluticasone/avelastine hcl) and is also manufactured by….CIPLA! With the latter costing around $7 per bottle. This price gouging is just disgusting!

September 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm
(12) Domenica Mcgahee says:

Greetings I am so excited I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Bing for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say many thanks for a remarkable post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

November 21, 2013 at 9:07 pm
(13) Ashton says:

This is the only thing that has worked for me. I was able to activate the savings card and get dymista for $35. I was having to press the pharmacist to take the time to get the card discount. Of course the just want you to pay the full price. Make them run the card!

November 21, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(14) Steve says:

I started using Dymista in April. I have tried all other nasal sprays and this has been the only one that works for me. I ask my physician what made this one better. He said its the only one that has a steroid and an antihistamine. Attacks allergies two ways. I will pay the $50. Saves me from buying all the over the counter meds.

February 27, 2014 at 5:34 am
(15) Vicki says:

I too work for the state and was denied the $35 card because my insurance wouldn’t pay for the dymista. First relief I had in over 5 years!

May 14, 2014 at 11:23 am
(16) Sam huff says:

The DYMISTA for $35.00 is only for people who have good prescription coverage to begin with. It is useless for anybody without prescription coverage or those on Medicare. These are the people who need the help to begin with. Seeing their “only cost $35.00 ad” makes me sick. I called them and inquired if they had an assistance program for those who couldn’t afford it, and unlike most pharmaceutical companies who offer these programs, they DO NOT!