1. Health
Daniel More, MD

Can Acupuncture Actually Help Allergies?

By February 20, 2013

The question of acupuncture helping allergies has been posed for years, and in the past the results were questionable. Acupuncture seems to help symptoms of allergies, but when compared to sham acupuncture (needles at sites without any meaning or significance), results were disappointing. Placebo effect is very strong, and therefore acupuncture treatment cannot be compared to no treatment -- rather acupuncture needs to be compared to sham acupuncture (placebo). A recent study compared the effects of acupuncture, sham acupuncture and no treatment in people with seasonal allergies. After a course of 12 acupuncture treatments over the course of 8 weeks, people receiving acupuncture treatments had less allergy symptoms compared to people receiving sham acupuncture or no acupuncture treatment. Unfortunately, the benefits didn't last beyond 8 weeks after the acupuncture treatment was stopped.

Therefore, there may be some limited, short-term benefit from acupuncture for the treatment of allergic rhinitis symptoms, but this benefit is short lived. It is not clear if continued acupuncture treatments would lead to ongoing benefit, and what the optimal course of treatment is for people with allergic rhinitis who choose acupuncture as a treatment for their symptoms.

Read more:

Comments
September 20, 2013 at 9:32 am
(1) www.promosoundcloud.com says:

I simply could not go away your site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the
standard info an individual supply in your visitors?
Is going to be back incessantly in order to investigate cross-check new posts

February 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm
(2) biggest trucks says:

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for Can Acupuncture Actually Help Allergies?

March 18, 2014 at 6:44 am
(3) Rudolph says:

Yes! Finally something about herbalife (<a href=”http://Www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8nAWi2i5Tc”>Rudolph</a>).

March 18, 2014 at 8:43 pm
(4) Scarlett says:

My family every time say that I am killing my time here at net,
however I know I am getting familiarity every day by reading such nice
content.

my blog post :: Top Eleven Football Manager Tokens Hack – <a href=”http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1corj9″>Scarlett</a>,

March 27, 2014 at 4:49 pm
(5) Salvador says:

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both educative and interesting,
and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
The problem is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about.

Now i’m very happy that I stumbled across this in my
hunt for something concerning this.

April 14, 2014 at 9:29 am
(6) acupuncture anxiety treatment says:

A fascinating education and, of course, they are resolved more acupuncture for osteoarthritis
quickly, and the redder the tongue, the greater amount of heat present.