- I'm allergic to a sunblock called Bananaboat. Recently, I just bought a sunblock from Mentholatum and I'm allergic to it as well. :( In both cases, rashes broke out. :( Any suggestions for better sunblock that might not cause allergic reaction?
- —Guest Rach
Severe allergy to most sunscreens
- I developed a severe photo allergic reaction to most sunscreens after using a sunblock 50 almost 20 years ago. This is a major problem because I am outdoors a lot. Also perplexing because I always used lower spf sunscreens up to 20 or 30 for years with no reaction until I used the stronger formula on vacation once and had a severe reaction. Now I can't even use face lotion with spf 15. Aside from those with zinc or titanium dioxide I have only found one (so far) Coppertone Dry oil #4. I know it is a low spf but it prevents burns well for me. It only has two active ingredients and is pretty water and sweat resistant. I have been testing various sunscreens that add one or two ingredients and have a spreadsheet of the brand and type and ingredients and whether I have a reaction to try and isolate the offending ingredients.
- —Guest Jonathan
- My 11 year old son is allergic to every sunscreen out there. We have tried cheap to expensive to hypoallergenic. His doc sent him to a dermatologist that told me to try Vanicream Sunscreen. It's hypoallergenic, Broad Spectrum, SPF 30, and has Titanium and Zinc in it. This worked. You can buy it online or possibly Walgreens, not sure about Walgreens though. I also found one other one called Blue Lizard, made with Titanium and Zinc, that is Broad Spectrum, Hypoallergenic, for Sensitive skin that also works on him. I ordered both online. Good Luck everyone and maybe with any hope these may work for you or your children.
- —Guest Gwen
- I used Neutrogena Helioplex 100 SPF sunscreen on my face and I've noticed that whenever I put it on it burns. About ten minutes or so after I put it on I noticed the bumps, But I thought it was my skin peeling. Now I have tiny bumps all over my face that are extremely itchy.
- —Guest guest mj
Equate SPF 50
- OMG got severe rash wherever I applied.. First time when I got this I went to urgent care doctor said I got polymorphous light eruption.. So I avoided gng out in sun.. Today I used equate sun screen and got similar rash.. Very very itchy... I'm gonna try going out in sun again and check...
- —Guest Niveda
Coppertone sport spray- hit or miss?!?
- My son has a severe octocrylene and fragrance allergies. We use Coppertone sport spray on, but the recipe they use changes all the time. For a while, we could only get 30 spf with no octocrylene in it, then it was the 50. Now it is back to the 30. We have to look every time we buy it. Sometime 2 bottle of the same spf sitting on the shelf are not the same. One will have 4% octocrylene and one will be octocrylene free.
- —Guest jason kern
The only sunscreen I'm not allergic to
- The first time I noticed that I was alleggic to sunscreen was when I was 8 and we were at Disney World. I used sunscreen on my legs,arms.back, face and broke out really badly. I had tiny very itchy bumps on the areas where the sunscreen was applied. So about a year ago when I was 18 my aunt and I went to Walmart and asked the lady that worked there what she recommended since I broke out and she said Aveeno is a good sunscreen protection. I used it and it i didn't break out from it at all.
- —Guest D"wayna
Banana Boat Kids SPF 50
- PABA free, hypoallergenic, water resistant. Sounds great? Nope. Welts/ rash on face, neck and arms (only where i used it). Not on shoulders though as they are covered by clothing. Sun reacts to it and its itchy and looks like bites on arms. Been a few days now. Never again. I suspect the parabens and other salicates in it. Heads up... terribly uncomfortable eapecially face and arms. I expect another week or so... *sigh*
- —Guest P.A.
ALLERGIC REACTION TO 60 SPF BABY SUNSCRE
- BROKE OUT IN WELTS,,ALL OVER FACE, DID NOT USE ON LOWER BODY,ONLY FACE, WOKE UP TO A LEPOR LOOK, GIANT ERUPTIONS OF RED, RAISED BUMPS ALL OVER FACE, THOUGHT IT WAS BED BUGS, BUT ONLY ON FACE, RUINED ALL VACATION HAD TO STAY IN , NOT BE SEEN ,LOOKED SO BAD, BE AWARE ,. TEST TRIAL PRIOR TO USE , NOT ON YOUR FACE.
- —Guest ANITA
- I had the same problem until my dermatologist suggested I try LA Roche posay products. I use their Hydraphase UV spf 30. With no reaction. Took me a long time find a sunscreen that didn't cause itchy little bumps. Try it.
- —Guest Jaymee
Allergic to PABA?
- I'm allergic to PABA in sunscreens. My face is especially sensitive. When I was in Aruba and visited the Aloe Vera plant I learned all their sunscreens are PABA free. I've never had a problem with these products, even on my face.
- —Guest Tina T
Allergic to the sun and also sunscreens
- I'm still wondering why this happened to me. It started about 5 years ago when I had rashes after exposing to the sun during a hiking event. Back then I thought it was caused by not applying a sunscreen. So the next time I opted for sunscreen and in within seconds of applying it, rashes was all over the affected area and started to itch. The rash would last up to 2 weeks. It happens everytime, and it is very frustrating.
- —Guest Cindy
Allergic reaction to sunscreen
- I found out when we moved by a lake that I was allergic! I had used NO AD SPORT. They gave me cortizon tabs and they stopped the itch. My Dr told me NO MORE CHEAP sunscreen. THIS SUMMER I hit Mexico with some Ocean Potion (sport) and BAM I had a reaction! They have tried 3 diff things now and NON of them work. I am going to have to tell them Cortizon tabs PLEASE! My recent is diaper rash cream! My legs are SNOW WHITE with it and I smell like a dead fish! IF ANYONE has any tips of over the counter that makes the itch STOP PLEASE! Pass it along! EMAIL ME! :) Im itching like I have flea's or have been rolling in poison ivy or a addict! :( ITS NOT FUN! And I have taken notes of any and all you have said on lotions to try. My Dr told me oil based lotion from now on STAY AWAY from any and all that say sports that is (suppose to stay on the skin longer) So if amy of my fellow sunscreen allergic comrades know any tips please let me know.
- —Guest Tonya
Sunscreen we use
- My 3 year old has an allergy and the only brand we can use is wotnot sunscreen. Abit greasy but it works.
- —Guest Caroline
i use baby sunblock
- no sunblock i have tried have worked and since that, i have stop using any. i recently tried neutrogena baby sunbloc spf 50+ and it worked
- —Guest marisela