From the article: Could I Be Allergic to my Christmas Tree?
Think your allergies and asthma get worse once you bring that fresh pine tree indoors during the holidays? It may be more than just your imagination. People for years have suspected that along with that fresh pine scent, an indoor freshly cut Christmas tree worsened allergy symptoms, but the reason wasn't completely clear. Possibilities include pollen, mold spores and strong odors emitted from the tree. Share your experiences with Christmas tree allergies, and any solutions you've found to overcome your allergies and still have a Merry Christmas. Share Your Experiences
Allergic to christmas trees
- I've always been allergic to mold, and thought that was why I reacted to christmas trees, as well as outdoor pine trees. But after I reacted to all-natural pine tar soap, that did not contain any of my other allergens or toxic chemicals, I believe I may actually be allergic to the pine itself.
- —Guest Donnie
Sadly no more real Christmas trees 4me!
- Every Christmas I would suffer from watering sore eyes, swollen eyelids and puffy face and just when you are having guests or relatives at Christmastime who dont see you often, and you want to look your best. It ocurred to me when I was in my thirties that I may be allergic to the Christmas tree as by this time I had deduced I was allergic to mould spores and I thought maybe they also came in on the tree or it had been sprayed with a pesticide or fungicide at some point in its lifetime. So out went the tree one year only 3 days after it was installed and amazingly (but not too surprisingly) all my sore eyes and allergy symptoms cleared up. From that year to this I can only remember the smell of a wonderful pine Christmas tree as we now have an allergy free Christmas with an artificial tree . The manufacturers have fortunately got better at immitating the 'real' tree look!