Reaction to Bactrim
- I will never take bactrim again. I was on my 7th day when I took bactrim prior to going to bed. I woke up with hives & blotches between my thighs & on my arms. I took benadryl & it was gone in no time. The next day I took the bactrim again & the breakouts were worse. The itching seems unbearable & the benadryl seems to wear off rather quickly. Saw the dr today who gave me a shot of decadron with instructions to go to emergency if worsen. This medication is horrific & should be band from the market arm
- —Guest Catherine McClendon
Acute intermittant Porphyria disease
- Sulfa drugs are dangerous with this rare inherited disease.
- —Guest Adell Dietrich
Anaflyatic shock to sulfa"s and rocephin
- Never do you think that you can take a medication several times, and on the 5th time of my dorcot giving a patient this medication, im suprised, after the first pill swallowed, i was almost dead, being rushed to the E.R. my ambulace. i was having an allergic reaction, and it was bad. severe.. i felt myself passing out, luckily my 10 yr old daughter was there to call 911. I was getting weaker, blood pressure was dangerously low, the couldnt get a heart beat, they couldnt hear it. my body temp. was below 97. and your freezing. after 5 hours with a 20 person staff in one critical care unit, i was back on my feet, heading home. the doctor said, thats the quickest he has seen that reaction.
- —Guest Vicki
- I was prescribed celebrex for RA, Since I developed ulcers from too much ibuprofen. This morning, 10 days after starting "C", hives, all over my body, went to instacare, Dr. Said it was the "C", prescribed prednisone, benedryl & Zertec. Tonight, the hives are much worse.
- —Guest Sabina lindquist
I am so allergic to sulfa
- My allergy to sulfa actually started with Celabrex.It was horrible.i began itching and i swelled up like the girl in the willie wonka but i was red not blue.My heartrate was now in the 150's and my resperations were short and rapid.Before i knew they had Nitrastat under my tongue and they were shooting me up through my iv with benedryl....i was there for 2 days and they constantly had to re medicate me until the meds were out of my system.I use to abuse diet pills and i loved wine and now i cant take diet pillls or even think about drinking any alcohol because i am Hypersensitive to even trace amounts of sulfa.I AM EVEN ALLERGIC TO TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC and toothpaste along with sulfa based shampoos.I have found that even though i wear a bracelet in the hospital saying i have a sulfa allergy,well most people even trained medical personnel dont realize that triple antibiotic and soap is sulfa based.i have to be my own advocate.So wherever you go for healthcare you must be your own advocat
- —Guest vagirl007
Reaction to sulfameth/trimethoprim
- o n my knee Early on my palms i Early on my palms itched BAD, just for a few min, but by taking the 10th pill, started feeling sick like coming up with something, next day, still felt ill - then that evening, fever of 101 and I was aching all over, kept thinking flu even tho not flu season I mean, what else could it be,right? Next day felt alittle better fever broke thot maybe I was getting over "the flu" but by evening fever spiked, stayed in bed kept downing Tylenol aches got more intense, esp my hip joints What the heck is going on with my body??? MISERABLE! Next day same thing only WORSE Not moving around much just very sick fever spiked to103. Broke out in rash which got so bad I was one big red blob! The rash before it got so bad made me think it might be Lymes FINALLY went to dr Shot me with steroid sent me home with benadryl and Prednisone went to sleep woke up a couple hrs later a new person! BUT I was a VERY sick person!
- —Guest Debbie
Sulfametthoxazole tmp for staph infect
- prescribed by dermatologist for a staph infection. Day one upset stomach day 2 flu like symptoms day three exhaustion day four slight rash day 5 all over body rash swollen lips and throat stopped meds. ER visit to put symptoms of hives at bay. Day 6 where hives were at worst skin is peeling other areas have broken blood vessels under the skin. EVIL drug!!!
- —Guest katie
- I started taking Sulfamethoxazole for a boil my doctor said was probably Staff on a Saturday. That night I had a fever or 99.2 and felt sick. 2 days later on Monday I had horrible lower back pain that lasted all day Tuesday as well. I also had a on going headache and lack of appetite along with diareaha, nausea and on and off low grade fever. I slept on and off all day Wed and Thurs and just felt sick. Friday morning I woke up to painful to the touch occipital swelling behind my ears. Felt like my neck muscles were detaching from my skull! I called my Doctor and she said to stop the medication and go to the ER. At the ER I had higher that normal blood pressure but fever was normal. Doctor diagnosed me as having a "medication intolerance" and said I should put Sulfa Drufs under listed allergies from now on. He said he didn't see any rash, but if one starts, to one in immediately because of the possibility of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.
- —Guest Shana
- Not the first time taking the pill so I didn't think it had anything to do with the red splotchy rash all over my arms back and legs. Then the vaginal swelling and irritation started. It was horrible! I went to the OBGYN and they tested me for STDs! All my doctors told me that this was not an allergic reaction to bactrim so I continued my dose, suffering! A couple months later Doc put me on it again and within 5 mins of first pill vaginal burning began. Swelled, burned and blistered. Horrible reaction! Turns out I am also allergic to Keflex, this I have known for years, is also Sulfa Drug! Why didn't they figure it all out with my first reaction!
- —Guest Lee89
- Celebrex sent me to the E.R. 20 minutes after taking it, itching all over turning red and swollen and I couldnt breath! It was a really bad reaction!
- —Guest carrie anti celebrex
Flea soap had sulphur in it
- I bathed my dogs in flea dip. Minutes later both my hands itched terribly. I read the label. Sulphur! Same as Sulfa! I never knew. Had to wash my hands in alcohol and soap five times. Never again. Read the label, even on flea dip shampoo.
- —Guest Danny
- After eyedrops failed to bring down my occular pressure, my opthamologist suggested Diamox as a last resort B4 major eye surgery (bleb). We discussed my sulfa drug allergy. He said there was only a small amount of sulfa in the pill and thought I wouldn't have a reaction. I took 1/4 of a small pill and had minor hives within a couple hours. Also, I need to watch out for medicated shampoos.
- —Guest Fran
Stephen Johnson Syndrome
- I was given a sulfa drug(Kidney inf) when I was pregnant w/my 1st child. My reaction was quite severe. No blisters but a bad rash where I lost all my skin from every orfice on my body. I was in the hosp for 2 1/2 months. They called me "Flaky" because of all the skin that was on the floor everyday. I had to take B-12 shots everyday to protect my baby who was born healthy. The doctors at the time diagnosed me w/Serum Hepatitis. It wasn't until years later that my family doctor ran a blood test & found out I never had any kind of hepatitis. He was the one who told me I had SJS. I also learned that SJS can lead to problems w/other organs, like your lungs. It leaves you w/ILD (Intertestial Lung Disease) which I was diagnosed w/2 yrs ago. So as of now I just need to use my oxygen as needed & hopefully it stays that way. So I always check when I am given any new meds that deal w/UTI etc. That's when I learned that Bactrim had sulfa in it...Caught in time, didn't take it....
- May of '10 I began having extremely itchy skin, dots looking like bug bites on shins, then elbows, arms shoulders, everywhere! tested, tested, GP, allergists, finally in 2012 dermatologist told me I was allergic to sulfa based drugs Atenolol and Triamterene HCTZ. in the meantime I had been prescribed Bactrim for infections caused by...ITCHING! I find that taking at least 5mg of Ambien will allow you to sleep. also, taking warm, NOT HOT Baths with 1/2 c. Each of baking soda and cornstarch will soothe your skin.Put on moisturizer within 3 minutes of bath or shower. I think just knowing what you are allergic to, and being able to avoid it, is powerful medicine. just to know you are not psychosomatic! to know I'm not the only person in the world who has to wear her clothes inside out is such a relief! thank you for being there!
- —Guest jules
odd severe allergic reaction
- I was taking Bactrim for a minor staph infection that was more in a bad place more than it was severe. Just didn't want it spreading into my eye or sinuses. I took it 2xdaily w/ no problems. I was finished w/ my dose on Thursday. Saturday evening I begin itching and thought I was having a topical reaction to something I came in contact w/ or a bug bite so I took a Benadryl. Later that night/Sunday morning the rash had spread all over my whole body. I thought it was merely a bad case of the hives and kept taking more Benadryl. The rash never subsided and only grew worse. Sunday night/Monday morning I could barely walk and was spiking a fever. The rash had formed into targets. The ER ran an IV with solumedrol, benedryl and pepcid. Sent me home with solumedrol, benadryl and tagamet. By Thursday the rash came back and my lips and eyes were extremely swollen and my sore joints began to return. Had to be on decadron IV and be on a higher dose of steroids by mouth for even longer.