- Was prescribed Bactrim for infected finger. Two days after starting it got flu like symptoms, high fever up to 104. Waited two more days to see doctor. They drew labs and r/o flu. I left and about a couple hours later, I started burning all over my face and chest. They told me STOP the Bactrim. I did. Now it's on my lips, in my ears, mouth gums burning, eyes burning...ack!!!
- —Guest Soozi G
- Well my experience with bactrum was agonizing. I was at first happy with my lips a little swollen. Free lip booster treatment. Then bang......tongue swelling with burning and blade cutting tearing feeling of whole mouth gums swollen. Drinking an eating oh no...burning burning ahhhh. So i called mr. Pharm. He said stop taking the drug take two benys an call ur dr. I called him. I went into his office. Given predisione and refused another antibo i feel better my brush with death gone. But my gums an tongue are still burning. 3wks later..going to my dentist 2day.. Hope u all have a good one......
- —Guest in pain adams
Beware of Lasix too!
- My mother told me years ago that I was allergic to sulfa drugs but didn't tell me what kind of reaction I had had. I steered clear of them for years, but then was able to tolerate Septra DS when I had a UTI in my 40's. Fast forward to now-- I'm 60 and just had a horrible reaction to Lasix! My mouth felt like I had.severely burned it a day after the first dose. Then I developed what looked like canker sores all over my tongue - underside too - and the insides of my cheeks, the soft palate and upper part of the throat. My lips turned bright red and swelled up, then started sloughing the skin off. The reaction continued to progress for 10 days. Each day there were new lesions in my mouth. I first saw a dermatologist who gave me a very small dose of prednisone, which did nothing. Then I went to my allergist who increased the prednisone to 40 mg. twice a day, plus Allegra twice a day and Benadry at bedtime. It took over a month for all the lesions to disappear. All this from ONE Lasix!
- —Guest Cynthia
Allergy to Bactrim component
- 2nd exposure to Bactrim, not allergic to sulfa but the trimethoprim. 7 days later, hives from ankels to arms, stomach but none on hand , or face, neck, First time ankles only after 3 days. No more Bactrim for me
- —Guest Sparkie58
Mouth & Tongue Reaction
- I was given bactrin (I believe) for a UTI. About 2 days into it my mouth tasted very metallic-icky & very dry. Then within a day or two of that my mouth, meaning the insides of my cheeks for the most part were completely raw & my tongue looked as if I had burnt it. It took forever to heal!
- —Guest Guest Sulfa PMC
Sulfa drug reaction
- Not all the responses I have read are far from the one I had, just a little milder. I was prescribed a sulfa drug and NSAIDs along with seizure medication known as Tegratol. My reaction was severe, with a few doctors not recognizing it to be Steven Johnson Syndrome, which nearly took my life and finally ended with total loss of sight. I suffered a major stroke and weakness of right side. The good ending is I fought effects of the stroke with physical therapy and my sight returned in one eye. As said in their comments, if you try sulfa in small dosses it will not harm you wrong. Easy to fix the problem, don't listen. Each person is an individual, however, is it worth losing ones life over? I remained in the hospital for over 1 1/2 months and have terrible scars. To much of a price. Since,my allergy list reads as a best seller. In ending tonight I took a medication for colitis which was prescribed for me therefore revealing the mistake made by docs/pharm yet another reaction.
- —Guest Angeliveson
Plavix and Sulfa allergy
- I just had a heart catherization and was given Plavix immediately following the proceedure. My throat was immediate itchy and by the time I reachef therecovery room I was covered with hives and my throat began to constrict.. my chest was tight and felt like a weight sitting on it. Thanks to the quick reaction to the staff I was stablized quickly. Who would have thougt a medication like Plavix would produce a sulfa , sulfide allergy reaction. In reding through article on the net .. no one mention Plavix as resulting in an allergy. BUT sure enough there is sulfite in the medication.
- I was prescribed Bactrim for strep throat. I had never taken it before and doctor advised me to watch for symptoms of alergic reaction. I took it for the full time 10 days and was fine. After 4 days I started to show symptoms of strep throat again so my doctor put me on another round of 10 days. A few days in I woke up with a rash on my arms and the back on my legs but thought it was from working in the yard. Rash continued to spread all over with intense itching. By the next day I was covered head to toe with the rash and my hands and feet were severely swollen to where i could barely walk without pain and couldn't hold anything. I went to ER and the doctor told me I was allergic to Bactrim. I went home and immediately flushed those evil things down the toilet. I will never take sulfa drugs again and will remember to tell future doctors that I am allergic to them
- —Guest Heidi
allergy to septrin
- mistakenly took two tabs septrin thought it was paracetamol within a couple of hours I became hot,itching around my knees ,hands ,back and no sleep
- —Guest shehuyaro
- I took Bactrim for a UTI and on the 6th day of taking the prescription I developed a rash then hives. I took an antihistamine to relieve the itching from the hives. I have taken this drug before with no problems but will definitely not take it again.
- —Guest Guest Teresa
I had no clue!
- Prescribed Bactrim for UTI. By day 2 (5th dose) I felt alert, extreme nervousness and shakes, covered in blotchy rash, lightheadedness, ringing ears, tunnel vision, could not sit still. Extreme shaking. Neck ache, upper back ache. Went to ER, they were clueless as was Dr.'s office that prescribed it. All they kept telling me is you took it before without any issue. Day 3 off it and STILL experiencing nervouseness, dizziness and ear ringing. I now know to be vigilent when given meds.
- —Guest Pharmaceutically Challenged
bactrim is no help
- i was prescribe bactrim for my sinus inffection. About 2 days after i start taking it i developed a huge rash. there was not one spot on my body that did not look tomatoe red. whenever the sun would hit my skin it hurt! there is a constant burning feeling to it. it made my muscles and joints hurt. my throat was sooo dry and raw, even water made it feeel dry and chalky. 104 degree fever! after 3 days of this i went back to the dr. and he realized i was allergic too sulfa..thanks doc
- —Guest mallory
- I had been taking Glucovance for diabetes and then they gave me the generic when it came out. It gave me complete hives. I was told that it was laced with sulfa drug, but it was not on the labeling.
- —Guest Holly G.
Horrible Reaction to Bactrim!
- I had Bactrim prescribed to me when I had a supposed sinus infection. It was HORRIBLE! I was throwing up every half an hour all evening until the morning, couldn't hold even a little bit of water down or I would throw it up. The nausea I had the whole time was unbearable. I also had the worst migraine ever. Even though I've only had one before when I had labyrinthitis, this was way worst than that. I couldn't even move one centimeter without a piercing pain. I was going to go to the emergency room but the doctors office was going to open in like an hour so I went there instead of waiting for 3 hours in the emergency room. I also have an allergy to Cefzil, which I just got hives from, but I wonder if this has any connection to the sulfa drug allergy.
- —Guest Sarah
maybe they shouldn't sell this stuff...
- I was diagnosed with a UTI and prescribed Bactrum. About a week into taking it, I got a horrible headache, my throat became swollen, and what do you know? I got a red rash all over my body. Scientists and doctors really need to check this stuff out because they diagnosed me with strep throat and now I am starting to believe that I never had strep at all. It had to be the sulfa.
- —Guest sasha