allergy to bactrim
- I was prescribed bactrim for a bladder infection. 10 days after first taking the med, when i had only 2 doses left, i had a severe reaction. I broke out into hives from head to toe, fever 102.3, heart skipped about every 7th beat, severe neck and headache, body aches and pains. I thought i would die! My dr was out of town. I did not go to the ER,but should have. i managed the symptoms w/ benadryl and tylenol. no more sulpher drugs for me!
- —Guest Brenda
- I had a UTI and they put me on one antibiotic which didnt seem to be working to they changed the antibiotic to bactrim. I was in the ER twice and they still couldnt figure out what was wrong with me! I had body aches, shortness of breath, abdominal cramping, and dizziness. THe first time there the doctor could not figure out what was wrong with me the second time they referred me to a pulmonologist. I have asthma and was trying to use my albuterol sulfate inhaler to help me breath and it was only making me worse! Thankfully the pulmonologist figured out that im allergic to Sulfa!
- —Guest Jill
thank god for benadryl
- my sis had a borderline anaphylactic reaction to celebrex thanks to her sulfa allergy, I had hives and wheezing with glyburide on the smallest dose (while pregnant, no less!) and I felt wheezy and queasy with imitrex. gotta love sulfa allergies!
- —Guest christa
- My face swelled and turned bright red after taking Celebrex. A cousin also could not take Celebrex because of her sulfur allergy. People with sulfur allergy should not take Celebrex!
- —Guest lbdbarr
Allergy to bactrim ds
- I took one pill of bactrim ds and after twenty minutes around my mouth appeared swelling, burning and red spots, this is second time this zhappens to me, doctor said it is an allergic reaction, to stop de medication and take benadryl
- —Guest Nuris rodriguez
- My dermatologist recommended Bactrim on day three I had red itchy marks on my back breast and stomach. That was at least three years ago. Today I stll have dark marks on those same areas. All he did was suggest I stop taking it. I am marked and wish I knew how to remove these dark spots from my skin
- —Guest Anyonia
Doctors don't know about sulfa allergies
- My struggles with reactions to sulphas have taught me how little doctors know about it, so I take it upon myself to check out any new medication I receive. I have also developed a reaction to sulfates, yet a doctor told me after conducting tests that I'm not allergic to sulfates, but I know that whenever I use skincare products with sulfates my face burns and I have to wash it off fast. I wear a medicalert bracelet and carry epi-pen. I only take new medication or cosmetics and foods in the mornings to be awake and alert to any adverse reactions. And I keep allergy tablets in my purse at all times.
- —Guest TM
- I just finished a 7 day prescription of Bactrim and the day after the last pill i got really hot. I had a low fever, and a rash began to develop. All week I have had muscle aches and now my throat feels kind of tight. My lips are also swollen and my eyes are bloodshot and dry. This SUCKS!
- —Guest George
Bactrim is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I was taking Bactrim for a sinus infection; and while helping the sinus infection, I also got a very severe allergic reaction to it. Now I am dealing with an unbearable rash all over my body. I am itchy, I am uncomfortable, and I can't sleep. DON'T TAKE BACTRIM-EVER!!!!
- —Guest Christine
Bactrim should be eliminated!
- Was suffering of UTI and was prescribed with bactrim. Took only one pill and my whole face bruised, one side of my face got so mess up that I am still dealing with scars and skin stains all over. Couldn't breath and I thought I was dying. Horrible experience, the worse medication on earth!
- —Guest Carmen Glen
- I was prescribed Sulfameth for an infection. Felt achy and flu like almost immediately after the first dose. I given a 10 prescription. By day 8 I ached all over so bad, my eyes hurt to move, I had chills, and fever which then turned to extreme hotness and then a red rash. The rash is on my arms, legs, stomach, and back. Some of it feels like sunburn and is warm to the touch. Finally realized I must be having an allergic reaction the meds. I have taken Bactrum in the past with no reaction. I will avoid all sulfa based drugs in the future.
- —Guest Jess
Sulpha & others allergy
- Was given 2 tablets of sulphonamide when young. Within 4 hours in hospital in ICU, with my white blood cell count incredibly low! My son and grandson cannot take Bactrim, they too have the allergy, so check with your children. Was given Celebrex for arthritis a couple of years ago (didn't know it was sulpha based). Blood pressure went through roof and in hospital for nine days before it settled. Now on BP tablets for life. Not worth the risk. Read everything. Remind everyone. I wear a Medicalert bracelet, recommend others do same.
- was taking bactrim for what they thought was an infected bite. took it for 5 days before i was begging someone for help. Pharmancy said stop taking bactrim. Next day went to doctor's office, sent me to ER thinking I a stroke. No stroke. started me on Prednisone and anti itch meds. This was a thursday, now Sunday and on the down side of the prednisone meds. Swelling still on face, numbness and dryness. Wondering what to do now.
- —Guest Susan
Always have everyone check for you
- When ever I am prescribed an antibiotic I always have at least 3 people (usually the doctor, nurse, and pharmacist) check to ensure that it isn't in the sulfa or penicillin families (I am allergic to both...and it is rough sometimes. I have the initial prescription changed more than half the time.). I have a family member that died from an allergic reaction to a sulfa antibiotic despite knowing about the allergy and it being clearly listed in her medical records (so I always, always, always make everyone check). However, it has its drawbacks (like right now I am on 5 pills per day when a normal person might be able to pop 2 and be good).
- —Guest Always be vigilent
arimidex and sulfa allery
- I too have felt my heart pound like an elephant is standing on it from sulfa antibiotics. Then found allergy to any topical antibiotics. Had breast cancer and was prescribed arimidex. I think I am allergic to it too. Achey all over all the time.
- —Guest w