allergic reaction to sulfa in antibiotic
- I was put on an antibiotic drug sulfamethoxaxole (Bactrim) due to chest congestion. Doctor called it in because he didn't have time to see me. After 8 days of the 10 day treatment I broke out in an intensely itchy rash. Had to go to a weekend doctor's clinic. I was told I had an ellergic reaction to sulfa. Was given a shot of decadron 8mg and then placed on a 6 day 21-pill treatment of prednisone, benadryl every 6 hours and a topical creme hydrocortisone. Didn't sleep for 3 nights as the itching was so intense. The prednisone started working after 2 days and I finally started having relief and could sleep again although still only for about 4 hours. Am now on my 5th day of prednisone and my rash is fading. It was covering 80% of my body and looked like one large red welt on my back as the spots blended in together. I called my doctor's office on the Monday and he still couldn't see me. I asked if I had ever been prescribed drugs with sulfa and the answer was no.
- —Guest JD
sulpha allergy-getting worse?
- I found out I was allergic to all sulpha based drugs when I was 8, from an antibio for strep throat. I was on that med. after I had a reaction to Penecillan, but it was worse. I took it before school, then that morning I realized I had some bumps on my stomach. I knew it was not a normal rash and went to the nurses office. By the time my mother picked me up 10 min later, I looked like a purplish blueberry. I took some Benedryl, went to the doctors, and had another med. allergy. All my doctors have been good about staying to the right meds (the allergy is bold in my file), but I have had to watch out for some acne medicines. I recently switched my face soap, and I have broken out in acne that is different to normal acne. It starts out as a rash like like red bump, then worses and stays for long time. After 2 weeks I looked at the ingred. and there is sulFATE listed. Ive never had a prob with sulfates before, could my allergy be expanding to other sulfers? My face is v. bad, Xmas in 2day
- —Guest Ica
Reaction to Bactrim
- I took Bactrim for a skin staph infection. The third day I was so nauseous I could not tolerate swallowing the pills. That night I thought I had the flu: fever, chills, vomiting. The next morning my nausea and fever were gone but my face was bright red and swollen. It looked and felt like a severe sunburn. I also had a rash on my neck, chest, back and arms. That night it was not improving with benedryl and ibuprofen, so I went to the ER. I was diagnosed with a Sulfa allergy. I have lupus and sjogren's syndrome, which are autoimmune disorders that I take plaqunil for. The DR said that a sulfa reaction is worse in immunosuppressed patients. I was given a steroid and benedryl shot in the ER and prescribed steroids and benedryl otc. The next morning, the pain, redness and swelling in my face was gone and so was the rash! I was so relieved! I started taking the prescribed meds, but later, my face was burning and red and the rash was back, but not as bad. I hope this is normal and no more ER
- —Guest justjenn
- First time I had a sulfa allergic reaction I was 31), after taking Bactrim given for my first UTI.Symptoms presented as mild itching of some parts of my skin. Soon I noticed that it was due to Bactrim, and, later on, to the sulfa ingredient thereof. (My father was allergic to some type of penicillin). A year before, I had had a reaction to crab meat, though I had eaten that food for some time before that. I understand that food contain sulfur in some manner. More recently, I have had such reactions with shark cartilage, Glucosamine and Condroitin, etc. At 48 I started having HBP symptoms and have been medicated properly thereafter, with the exception of Nov 12, in which I had to go to ER with an swollen lips and face. Soon I found out that the diuretic component (HCT)in Hyzaar included sulfa. This, even though I had taken such diuretic many times during some years before. I've found out about some non-sulfa diuretics in the internet. which I'll discuss with my cardiologist.
- I went to the hospital complaing of my side hurting. Was diagnosed with pneumonia. Doc gave me septra ds.enough for 10 days. I was to take 1 tab twice a day. On the 3rd day, symptoms hit hard and fast. By that evening I was having difficulty breathing, couldn't stand up straight, and was hurting all over. I was weak. I decided not to take the next dose and just go lay down for a while. As I layed there, I began to hurt all over . I was so sick i didn't want to move. So I agreed to go to the hospital.They told me I had an allergic reation to sulfa and not to take it any more, the prescribe me solimedrol pack and benedryl, and pain medication. God knows I needed it because I was crying I was hurting so bad.I went home, and the symptoms got worse, I couldn't eat, food tasted like cardboard and metal.my skin was so sore I couldn't stand for no one to touch me. hives were now appearing on my back side.I was admitted for observation that night. 4 weeks now, still can't taste, skin hurts.
- —Guest KD
topamax/sulfa crossreactivity allerg
- I have just spent 5 mos of trying to figure out what is wrong with me only to realize it was due to my sulfe allergy. I am a nurse I should have known but so should have approx w0 other healthcare workers I have come into contact (been under the care of) in the past 6 mos pharmacy nursing and phsycian combined.
Sulfa Drug Allergy
- I started feeling bad as soon as I took the first dose. I had cramps in my back and felt like I needed to sleep. I slept for 2 days straight with chills and fever. I didn't feel like eating and vomited once after trying to eat something after 3 days of no food. Once I got off the drug, it took 48 hours to feel better.
- —Guest Donna
- I took sulfa 20 Yeahrs ago for Bladder Infection. !0 Min. after taking the Sulfa I had a Seizure and woke up in the Emergency. Just last Week I was standing To close and to long to The Exhaust of Our Diesel Truck not realizing how much Exhaust I was inhaling. I remember getting a Headache and not fealing well and then had a Seizure. Found out There is Sulfa in Dieselfuel.
- —Guest Karla Semanko
reaction gets worse each time
- Forgot about the last time 1.5 yrs ago! Why can't they do something about UTIs other than prescribe Bactrim? The pharmacist warned about nothing but sunlight. Who's going out feeling like this? Terrible flu-like illness, sudden onslaught. Terrible cramps in legs and feet and awful situation with mouth full of canker sores; bad headache; vision affected.
- —Guest Jean
uti sulfa based antibiotic reaction
- prescribed antibiotics for a uti 2 tablets a day for a week. The last day I took the final tablet at 9am, that evening I started to itch it started with a rash on my trunk this spread all over my torso. By 1.30am I was going crazy, burning and itching. I got medical help and was prescribed prednisole and cetrizine, 2 days on I am still itching. This is a horrendous experience, the only thing to relieve the itching was using a hair dryer as hot as you can tolerate on your skin for a short time.
- —Guest sarah
My Sulfa Reaction
- I was prescribed Sulfasalazine for my Psoriatic Arthritis. Took it for about 2 weeks and notices a slight rash and stopped taking it. Then I got to thinking it was all in my head so I started taking it again. By the second dose I was very ill. I had the rash again, my nose was swelling on the inside and I had hives in it. My lips and eyes were swollen and I had a fever of at least 102 (I NEVER get a fever). I felt like I had the flu. Body hurt allllll over. I suffered thru this over night while taking Tylenol and Benedryl with no relief from the itching or the fever. My husband said that I looked like I had a sunburn. I did go to my PCP's office the next day and she gave me a steroid shot and an antihystamine shot and sent me home with more steroids and antihystamines. I felt like crap for several days after that. This has been over 2 years ago and I still think that I have scar tissue build up in my nose as I "whistle" thru my nose sometimes for no reason. VERY SCARY!!!!!
- —Guest Erin K
- I took bactrim ,.allergic reaction Steven Johnson syndrome, never heard of it til then
- —Guest steph
Terrible Sulfa Drug Allergy... Help?
- cant remember what i took but it was for a uti/kindey infection. 1st dose taken vomited within the hour & a fever of 103F went to the er gave me tylonel told me to take second dose and go home before i even made the 15 min drive home had to pull over and vomit got home took a nap on the couch woke up vomited high fever still took more tylonal didnt help pounding headache chills blurred vision went to the er agian they said it couldnt be an alergic reaction cuz of no hives go home& keep taking them 3rd dose took vomited terribley, joints got stiff and achy, kidneys felt like a burning rock was floating around in them, couldnt move my neck or head, blured vision, muscle spasms, fever of 103F literally thought this was it the end of me... some how got to the er nurse said if i thought i was allergic to quit taking them its as simple as that doc gave me some w/o sulfa took that felt 80% better next day... 1yr later still have headaches, anxiety, depression&fear that they screwed me up4ever
- 1 mo. ago I was prescribed Sulfamethoxazole–Trimethoprim which is a generic form of Biactrum, for acne.After 3 days of taking it I felt like I had the flu with all the symptoms.The doctor said it was a cold. The next three days I was in hell, 102 fever and no fever/pain relievers seemed to help. I decided to focus on my body and I would resume my acne meds later. (side note: Biactrin type meds say to stay out of excessive sunlight, but as I was inside sick for four days and out of the sun, my skin seemed to tan itself on the sides of my arms.) Yesterday I tried it again at 10:30 pm. By 12:45 I woke up hot, bothered by things touching me, and itchy swollen palms. Soon after 101 fever,shivers,& thrown up.By 2 I was on my way to the ER. It felt like I was walking on nails and as if everything I touched was made of pin needles.My blood pressure soon plummited as low as 49/32 and was put in the ICU. Now I have to check everything for slupha, carry an epipen, and wear and allergy bracelet.
- —Guest Rachel
- Was given this med for Ulcerative colitis after second dose woke up with swollen eyes lips and rash. Ended up in ER. One week later I still have this burning itching rash on neck and arms, hands tingling. I am miserable.
- —Guest Gigi