From the article: Could I Be Allergic to Alcoholic Beverages?
Many people have asked me whether or not it is possible to be allergic to alcohol. The answer is yes. Symptoms can range from flushing to nausea to itching to shortness of breath. If you have an alcohol allergy, share your experiences with having a reaction. How do you deal with it? Share Your Story
- My face gets real red and itchy after just one beer or a few shots. I used to be able to drink all night and be fine. Why is this?
- —Guest cody
- I have only had problems after not having anything to drink between pregnancies and nursing. Now, I have gotten immediate swelling of my lips, itchy eyes and throat and spots all over my neck and face. Is there a way to check what I am allergic to specifically.
- —Guest Kimberly
am i allergic to alcohol
- 1st time my face got very flush, 2nd time my face looks like a big welt, swollen.But this is not the first to times ive had alcohol.it is the only 2 times ive had a reaction.
- —Guest gina
am i allergic
- I can drink one wine cooler amd my arms get extremley heavey, it seems hard to breath and I sweat instantly! Why is this!
- —Guest randi
hard cider reaction
- Its happened twice now, the first time the cider was from a brewery, this last time, last night, I was drinking that angry orchards and the same thing hap I broke out into a sweat and my phone temperature was probably at least a hundred 2 or 3... is it something in the cider?
- —Guest Milissa
- I am an alcoholic of five years and just recently talked to my dr regarding immediate nose running after drinking vodka specifically. It turns out that I am allergic to potatoes and my body reacts to vodka made from it.
- —Guest me
Severe sweats and stomach pain immediate
- I got a raspberry margartia . After a few sips I went into a severe sweat and experience severe pain in my midriff area.. can i have an allery???
- —Guest Jude
- I only drank an ounce of alcohol approximately, and I felt a burning sensation in my stomach. A few minutes later, my arms burned a little, and I examined each arm, which my left arm was more affected than my right. On the left arm, some bumps had appeared. The skin that surrounded the bumps was red, and it ranged from my just above my elbow, and down my arm 3 inches before the wrist. My right arm had just turned a bit red in a few spots. I drank 20 ounces of water to be safe, but I am not sure it helped. The redness has gone away by now (30 mins later), but I can still see the bumps. Hopefully, it'll all pass over soon.
- —Guest Cece
numb face, burning skin rash
- Up until a few months ago, my face would get red when I would drink and that was perfectly normal to me, because I'm so fair-skinned. But now when I drink, my face gets red, numb, and hot. And there are patches of skin all down my neck, chest, and arms that get red, and occasionally itchy. My friends gave me a Benadryl the first time it happened, and it cleared it up, so I've been doing that ever since. I know it's not healthy, but I don't drink much, and it's just a temporary solution until I can find time to get to the allergy clinic and find out what's up.
- —Guest Lisa
- When I drink alcohol my face burns especially my ears. It burns so hot that cold water does not do anything. I use to think it was just wine but it is all alcohol. The other day my daughter told me to try her drink. It turns out it was apple cider. One little sip, it burned right down my throat and into my stomach. My face etc burned more than usual. Still unsure why I have a reaction to all alcohol. I only drink once in a blue moon. But as I get older worse it gets.
- —Guest Karla
Kalua & cream reaction
- Drank a kalua & cream and my diaphragm tightened up felt like it was completely constricted and hard to breath. Husband took a 2 sips and had a similar reaction, less severe. What causes that?
- —Guest Lisa
not sure if i have allergy
- I have had two attacks which after the 2nd one i question if it is related to the wine I drank. I ate out at a chinese resteraunt and along with my dinner I have a glass of white zinfindale. Within 15 minutes of starting to eat and drink I became hot, my face was extremely red and some swelling, my hands swelled up 2 maybe even 3 times their size and became red and itchy. I also felt like my throat was closing although i was able to still breathe. I really wasn't sure what caused this reaction because I am allergic to latex but they assured me none was used in the resteraunt at all. I left and went home thankfully right down the road and took some benedryl and went to bed. Now tonight I just had the same exact reactions after drinking a glass of wine in my home. The thing that is bothering me is I drank a glass a couple days ago with barely a reaction. I did feel a little warmer thats it. Could I have an alcohol allergy? Should I be worried and be tested?
- —Guest desiraen
Corn in alcohol
- The first time that I became violently ill including migraine type headache, nausea and vomiting after dringking corn based vodka,I thought I had just had a bit too much vodka. Drank other vodkas at other times. However, one vodka martini made with the same brand of vodka that originally made me ill and I was again so ill it scared me. I am now going to be very aware of any corn products that I might want to ingest.
- I have had this allergy all my life and it has got worse. It is very hard that normal drinkers do not understand how ill this can make you and socially ostricise you because you cant join in with the drink. I have the red blotches mostly face neck and chest. It also triggers migraines that can last for days pure misery there is no hangover that can compete with this affect. So to all fellow sufferers I commiserate and drink to you all with a glass of Schloer. To all those normal drinkers I ask for some understanding and please stop trying to get us to drink alcohol when we have already declined.
- —Guest Sue
- My nerve endings burn. To the pint if tears when I drink kaluha and mikes hard lemonade. I usually only drink wine. I seem fine with that
- —Guest Mary
1-15 of 94Next