Many people have asked me whether or not it is possible to be allergic to alcohol. The answer is yes. Symptoms can range from flushing to nausea to itching to shortness of breath. If you have an alcohol allergy, share your experiences with having a reaction. How do you deal with it? Share Your Story
numb face, burning skin rash
- Up until a few months ago, my face would get red when I would drink and that was perfectly normal to me, because I'm so fair-skinned. But now when I drink, my face gets red, numb, and hot. And there are patches of skin all down my neck, chest, and arms that get red, and occasionally itchy. My friends gave me a Benadryl the first time it happened, and it cleared it up, so I've been doing that ever since. I know it's not healthy, but I don't drink much, and it's just a temporary solution until I can find time to get to the allergy clinic and find out what's up.
- —Guest Lisa
- When I drink alcohol my face burns especially my ears. It burns so hot that cold water does not do anything. I use to think it was just wine but it is all alcohol. The other day my daughter told me to try her drink. It turns out it was apple cider. One little sip, it burned right down my throat and into my stomach. My face etc burned more than usual. Still unsure why I have a reaction to all alcohol. I only drink once in a blue moon. But as I get older worse it gets.
- —Guest Karla
Kalua & cream reaction
- Drank a kalua & cream and my diaphragm tightened up felt like it was completely constricted and hard to breath. Husband took a 2 sips and had a similar reaction, less severe. What causes that?
- —Guest Lisa
not sure if i have allergy
- I have had two attacks which after the 2nd one i question if it is related to the wine I drank. I ate out at a chinese resteraunt and along with my dinner I have a glass of white zinfindale. Within 15 minutes of starting to eat and drink I became hot, my face was extremely red and some swelling, my hands swelled up 2 maybe even 3 times their size and became red and itchy. I also felt like my throat was closing although i was able to still breathe. I really wasn't sure what caused this reaction because I am allergic to latex but they assured me none was used in the resteraunt at all. I left and went home thankfully right down the road and took some benedryl and went to bed. Now tonight I just had the same exact reactions after drinking a glass of wine in my home. The thing that is bothering me is I drank a glass a couple days ago with barely a reaction. I did feel a little warmer thats it. Could I have an alcohol allergy? Should I be worried and be tested?
- —Guest desiraen
Corn in alcohol
- The first time that I became violently ill including migraine type headache, nausea and vomiting after dringking corn based vodka,I thought I had just had a bit too much vodka. Drank other vodkas at other times. However, one vodka martini made with the same brand of vodka that originally made me ill and I was again so ill it scared me. I am now going to be very aware of any corn products that I might want to ingest.
- I have had this allergy all my life and it has got worse. It is very hard that normal drinkers do not understand how ill this can make you and socially ostricise you because you cant join in with the drink. I have the red blotches mostly face neck and chest. It also triggers migraines that can last for days pure misery there is no hangover that can compete with this affect.
So to all fellow sufferers I commiserate and drink to you all with a glass of Schloer. To all those normal drinkers I ask for some understanding and please stop trying to get us to drink alcohol when we have already declined.
- —Guest Sue
- My nerve endings burn. To the pint if tears when I drink kaluha and mikes hard lemonade. I usually only drink wine. I seem fine with that
- —Guest Mary
Possable Alcohol Allergy?
- Every time l drink alcohol l suffer with bad nasal congestion or sneezing and runny nose, it becomes very painful and very uncomfortable are any suggestions on how to prevent this, l do not drink very often, l have thought about taking an antihistamine before indulging, could someone please advise?
- —Guest Yvonne Banks
Severe allergic reaction
- I have had two mild attacks,starting with itchy palms,but only for about 5 minutes however a couple of weeks ago I had an attack with same symptoms and was rushed to ER unconsciouse for 6 hours put it down to alcohol but will get it checked out
- —Guest Peggy
sharon c e
- My neck & face breaks out in dry blotchy red rash very itchy confined to this area which couldn't be a worse place I seen a skin specalist she said it was urticaria gave me high doses of antihistamines which seamed to help I realised when I drank wine it seamed to get worse It seamed to clear for a while then comeback the specialist said a lot of things would annoy me when it was bad but they didn't cause it this time antihistamines have not helped at all I've had quit a lot of wine over the Xmas period and its really bad at the moment irony no what to do nothing seamed to be helping so im not going to drink any alcohol to see if it clears up may it an allergy to sulfites which is in most wines
- —Guest sharon
- Nice to see I'm not the only one that has a reaction to alcohol. My friends think I'm crazy. I used to be able to drink but about ten years ago my sister brought a bottle of wine over for Xmas eve. I had a sip of it and within ten minutes couldn't breath, got red in the face, tongue, face and hands started to swell. Being a person with food allergies and having family members with allergies, I knew what was happening so I took some benydrly right away. I haven't drank since and no longer are able to use cough syrup with alcohol. If you are not sure it's worth it to get tested. Hope this helps others.
- —Guest Jennifer
when i drink alcohol
- when i drink bud light or any drimk my stomach the next day i have acid i feel i cant breed and i long for suger my arms pain and my sinus why is this
- —Guest michelle
cats and alcohol
- I am allergic to cats. when i am around them i experience common symptoms... itchy eyes, runny noes ect.
however if i drink, my symptoms become much more radical where i experience swelling around my eyes, lips and under my tounge, as well as asthma sometimes. (never any swelling in my neck or throat so i havent had any 'close calls')
Sometimes this happens when i have not some in contact with cats at all that day, however i think any clinging cat 'residue' will trigger it. Most times i react at night, after going to sleep, then i wake up swollen and allergic.
Further, sometimes i will have a few drinks within the proximity of a cat and nothing more then itchy eyes will happen. might be the type of cat (short vs long hair, amount of dander)
I dunno. i have never met anyone with a simaler allergy or anything. any input?
- —Guest kyle
- When i drink alcohol the next day i go outside my skin burns and i break out in hives is it the alcohol or sun? Or combination of both?
- —Guest holli
its not only in the glass
- I am 34, and can't have any alcohol. Nny food can't be cooked in it. I can't eat salad with vinegar dressing. There is red or white wine in them. Same as sugar free ice cream. Sugar alcohols do the same. Just the other night I got take out. I tried their special sauce. 15 mins of not less I es blacking our with running in my ears. Feeling nausea and weak face flush then face burning then hair on top of my head tingled till I broke out in sweat. It was my most scary reaction as of yet. Wish my doctors would believe me before I land in the ER
- —Guest kiky778